Monday, May 18, 2015

Impending Planetary Extinction

My hoard-like supply of Planet Ultra Dishwashing Liquid, the All-Purpose Miracle Soap is dwindling. I'm down to a mere two bottles, down from three cases. It took me years to get through it. Obviously, I didn't buy enough.

A few weeks ago as I was shopping I came across a display of a new dish washing liquid. It's called Biokleen Natural Dish Liquid. "Biokleen"? I hate it when people change the spelling of words and make it sound like the fake substitute. Like when people in education-type businesses us "skool" instead of "school" which makes one wonder if they can spell. Toys R Us? What does this teach kids?

Of course, "Biokleen" reminds me of "Beau-line" (pronounced "bee-o-leen") which was the toxic make-up poisoning everyone in the latest Catwoman movie, so I wasn't impressed. It's made in my area which is nice as I think supporting local, American products is a good thing. Then I read the ingredients on the label...teeny, tiny print that no human could read without some kind of visual aid, in my case a magnifying glass provided by the co-op's customer service desk. Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Lauramine Oxide, Capryl Glucoside, Glycerin, Grapefruit Seed Extract, C10-15 Alcohols. The weird thing about all these unpronounceable words is after each is (plant-based...whatever) to make those words seems less toxic. I passed it up. My co-op is really good at not selling anything toxic so I wondered how this product got on the shelves? Is it not as toxic as one would think? Did the co-op not read the ingredients? Yeah, it was on sale for $3.99 which was slightly less than the Planet, but the ingredients just didn't set well with me.


My next trip to the store, knowing my cherished supply of Planet was on the verge of disappearing, I thought I should check the Planet display and see if they've changed the ingredients list or whatever. Again I passed the Biokleen display reminding me of their sale. Planet has changed their label, but the ingredients are the same. But the price!! The price is now $5.25 a bottle! When I first started buying Planet it was $3.25 a bottle. By the time I bought the cases it was up to $4.10 a bottle. Jeez. I should have purchased I life time supply!

Before I bought the bottle of Biokleen I unscrewed the cap and took a big whiff. No smell. Hmm. Maybe I should try it anyway? I didn't realize using it with hot water would make it STINK. There is no scent, it's a raw, chemical-like stink that makes me gag. Damn. Oh well!  I should have known.

I'm not sure what I'll do if the new Planet also smells, but for now I'm staying with Planet Ultra Dish Washing Liquid, the All-Purpose Over-Priced Soap.

Chemical sensitivity is expensive....

5 comments:

  1. We like Planet pretty well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, going as chemical-free as much as possible is really impossible and super expensive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brutal! I use nature clean but I don't think it's sold in the US. How about baking soda and water or vinegar and water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Planet changes that's what I would do, but I can't imagine. I used soda and vinegar on other things, but dishes? Hmmm...dish washing without suds just doesn't seem right but as usual we are always in the process of changing from our normal behaviors to brand new ideas just to survive.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. I like suds too. Shampoo probably too pricey. Good luck! I am obsessed with my half water half vinegar spray for cleaning everything and spritzing stinky things. Now that I can tolerate the smell of vinegar. And can eat it too!! :)

      Delete