Saturday, June 1, 2019

Raccoon Babies

Here are my baby pictures! Unfortunately, my zoom is lousy so I couldn't get much better close ups. They are so cute! Fluffy. Every time I go out to water the garden she comes out and we stare at each other. I walked around the house and came back in from the other side to take photos. Mama took them on a walk around the shed twice. At one point she climbed the fence and chattered to them from above. They tried to climb up to her but couldn't. It was so fun to watch them jump and play.



This one might have been the best photo if my flash didn't go off!?
This one she kept having problems with. He was always late, behind the others.
Finally she grabbed him and scolded him. HAHAHA




The next day they went on an excursion beyond the shed to the closest garden. They discovered my thyme and enjoyed themselves rolling and romping in it. They played with flowers. Then they went back to where I left the plastic container of water and put their little hands in it. One of them jumped in and walked around. They had so much fun.

I find instead of watching movies at night I watch them. Much more entertaining!

UPDATE: They are GONE! At first I was in a panic seeing the uneaten plate of food and prayed no one trapped the mama and the babies were still under the shed. The last time I saw them they were wrestling and running all over the garden. Where are they? I got online and learned that raccoons will have their babies in crawlspaces, chimneys, and...under sheds, but then when the babies become rambunctious and active at around 8 weeks, she moves them to another den. Probably out in the woods or the field beyond. I found a video online to see what 8 week old babies look like, and they look exactly like my babies. So they are gone. Perhaps they will come back to raid my fruit trees at the end of summer. I hope so. I miss them. I was depressed for days...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Such interesting visitors you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so cute! And good that they've gone. They don't really mix well with people! A little gift for you to have them there as babies. What fun to set out a little pool for them. Someone told me they don't have saliva glands and that's why they "wash" their food before eating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read they aren't washing their food, they are sensitizing their paws, which is also why they put their paws in water. I don't know. Your theory makes more sense.

      Delete