Monday, January 21, 2013

Service Day!

It's Service Day once again! Otherwise known as Martin Luther King Jr. Day which President Obama designated as the day we should all come together to volunteer for our communities. I head down to the wetlands trail at the bottom of the hill to pick up garbage left by lazy, thoughtless people misusing and abusing nature. It's quiet. The air is fresh smelling and clean. I do my part without subjecting myself to smelly people.

 
 

It was a cold, frosty day.

 
The morning sun was defrosting much of the ground, but patches of ice remained.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As beautiful as it was, this made some of the garbage difficult to see.
 
Is it ice or white paper? Hmmm...
 
And much of the garbage was frozen solid to the ground.
 
 
 
 
 
Candy wrappers, napkins, plastic bags, paper bags and a piece of wood. I don't pick up toilet paper. Eeewww...filthy! I wish lazy, uncivilized people would use a toilet before visiting the park OR at the very least BURY IT!


I also found some new trails.
 

 

One from my new neighbor's house which might account for the excessive amount of dog shit all over the trail.
 
I don't pick up dog shit either. Gross.
 


 

Another trail led to a newly constructed fort. With candy wrappers surrounding it, I can guess some neighbor kids must have been feeling energetic.



In year's past, there used to be lots of garbage, old tires, soccer balls, boxes, and I'd drag home several bags of garbage, but there isn't much anymore. Maybe I have made a difference over the years in my own small way?

I think I need a new service day project that involves a little more work.





1 comment: