Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Iridology

Years ago when I worked for a health food store my co-worker friend was into iridology. It was a fun game when work got boring we'd look into each other's eyes to determine how unhealthy we truly were. 

The only thing I remember from that experience was she kept telling me I needed a colon cleanse. It just made me giggle. It seems if there is a muddy-colored ring around your pupil, your colon is congested. Here is the chart from the iridology master Dr. Bernard Jensen:


See the colon squiggle around the pupil?


You can find an updated, color chart for purchase HERE  or a Pinterest reference HERE  or just search "iridology chart Jensen" and a variety of chart styles will appear.

According to Wikipedia, iridology is an alternative medicine technique whose proponents claim that patterns, colors, and other characteristics of the iris can be examined to determine information about a patient's systemic health. Practitioners match their observations to iris charts, which divide the iris into zones that correspond to specific parts of the human body. Iridologists see the eyes as "windows" into the body's state of health.

Years later I worked for an outstanding old-school naturopath, he used to walk up to us, poke our livers, look at our hands, and into our eyes. I called them "party tricks", but he could tell exactly how we were feeling that day or what we needed to do to feel better.

It's been years since I've given any thought to iridology and the other day on a whim I wondered how my eyes were doing. I have vague memories of dark spots (bad things!) in the bottom section of my iris, and of course, my congested colon. So I put on my glasses and with flashlight in hand I flipped on the bathroom light and peered wide-eyed into the mirror. Hmmm...my colon is no longer congested. Probably all that healthy food I eat. One dark, rust-colored dot. I ran to the computer, found Jensen's chart, and looked for the area around two o'clock in the iris of my right eye (it's all backwards on the charts if looking in the mirror)....

THYROID! Go figure. Even though I've been feeling great, there is definitely something wrong with my thyroid! But only in my right eye. Left eye is fine.

Interesting...

Unfortunately I don't know enough about iridology. Does this mean the thyroid gland on my right side the only one having problems?  Also, there is much more to it than reading dark dots as the texture, color and patterns indicate various health issues as well. It would be fascinating to study. I wonder if people can make a living being an iridologist? The sclera (white of the eye) and all it's blood vessels also holds secrets to your systemic health, but that's way out of my knowledge base.

I tried taking a photo of my eye but I couldn't get it in focus nor without the shadow caused by the camera. The results made me laugh until I had tears running down my cheeks:


HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

1 comment: