Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Berries, Bears, and Backwoods Folktales

 
 
I went wild blackberry picking today! This involves hiking up the logging roads into the hills way out in the middle of no where. Wild blackberries have a very short season and every year I miss them. This year I was prepared, but had no idea where to go and most locations are guarded secrets. I finally got some tips from locals.


It's scary being up in the woods alone! One of my neighbors told me of her encounter with a bear while picking blackberries. She doesn't go anymore. I'm more worried about bad men or ticks or snakes.


Every summer as a little girl my grandparents would take us blackberry picking. Each year as we hiked up the hills, over logs, through tall grass and stickers, running wild as children do without fear, we heard the story of our great, great uncle who when he was sixteen years old took his trusty dog with him hunting. Alone. He never came home. A year later they found his remains with his devoted dog still by his side. There was a stick through his eye. The legend has it he must have tripped, the stick went through his eye, and into his brain. Although they assured us he was killed instantly (maybe), I was more horrified about the dog, "How did the dog eat and stay alive for that long?" The lessons were not lost on us: never go up into the woods alone [or you'll end up like Uncle Teddy], watch where you are walking [or you'll end up like Uncle Teddy], and take a dog [so if you die like Uncle Teddy you have a trusty companion to keep you company until they find your body]. To this day every time I'm up in the woods alone, I think of that story. Every step I take, every stick that snaps, I think of Uncle Teddy.

Anyway, I hiked alone, sans dog, for miles. Never saw a bear or a bad man, never encountered a rogue stick, and actually found some berries! So peaceful and beautiful.

 
Wild blackberries are much smaller than the common evergreen blackberries so they aren't as easy to find. They are often on a slope or hill. One of my friends said her mountain-biking son saw them out on the trails, so when I came upon a very steep hill with bike tracks I decided to go up it. So steep I kept sliding. My greatest fear is I'd slide and drop my bucket of blackberries! I probably should have been more nervous about breaking an ankle, or encountering a stick through the eye.


The blackberries in the shade were much bigger than the tiny small-fingernail size of the others. I did find a few really nice ones, but because they are so elusive, I wasn't really picky. I believe they are organic since they are wild, but one can never assume safety. Since they were located up in forestry land, I don't know if the logging companies spray the trees.

 
Eventually I grew tired, but wondered, "When should I stop? How much is enough?" The measurement standard of blackberries is always "enough for a pie." Even though I can no longer eat pies [sob], I gathered nearly enough for a pie. Plus one perfect specimen of salmonberry.




I love the berry picking season! Friday the raspberry farm opens!

Yum!

1 comment: