Saturday, January 20, 2018

Women's March 2018

On January 20, 2018 was the second annual Women's March across the nation. It rained. Did I care?


HELL NO!!

I made myself a protest umbrella!



I bought an old yet large and sturdy umbrella at the Goodwill, selected some of my favorite sayings, and painted like a mad woman trying to get it finished by Saturday. I knew it would rain. It poured. Here it is in action:


My new protest umbrella got a lot of attention. Many people stopped me to ask if I painted it, wanted to know what kind of paint I used, how long it took, and if they could take a photo. I think in the future we might see a whole lot of painted umbrellas at protests! I admit, it wasn't my idea. There was an umbrella with painted slogans last year and I was incredibly inspired then. There were a few umbrellas with designs on them this year, too. I was also asked if I sold them but between the cost of paint and the time it takes to complete one, I can't imagine anyone would want to spend enough money to make it worth while. I had a lot of fun and if I can find another cheap umbrella, I might make another.

Protesters stood in the rain for a couple hours listening to speakers, many of them Native American, African American, women politicians, and choral groups. I was frozen and numb, but DRY, by the time we were ready to move, and so desperate to move and put circulation back in my body.



The organizers were far more prepared this year and instead of the two block loop that was way too short for 10,000 participants, we traversed down a hill of switchbacks:



Then around the lake located at the base of the capitol building culminating at a park filled with non-profit organizations and charity group tents. Lots of room to march and not be bottle-necked and crowded too close to stinky people. My umbrella helped with personal space - if anyone got too close they got stabbed by the umbrella points. HAHAHA!



Loved the variety of creative signs and the energy. Lots of motivation and cheerfulness even in the pouring rain!


1 comment: