Sunday, May 12, 2019

Acupuncture

I managed to avoid all health care for exactly one year. It's a huge savings especially since the previous three years was such a drain on my bank account. Acupuncture was the only thing I hadn't tried although I did acupuncture many years ago. It was painful. I think she hit a nerve. And I'd bled. It seemed really wrong and it didn't seem to improve anything so I stopped.

About a year ago when in the throes of a non-working colon I went to the local "commune" style acupuncture clinic. This is where you pay a fraction of what an acupuncture treatment would normally cost, but you are in a darkened room with a bunch of people. It was kind of creepy. Every needle was painful, but I laid there obediently praying the time would fly. It didn't. It was the longest half hour of my life and I couldn't wait to get out of there. The acupuncturist said it could be his technique. I assumed he was a newbie.

I looked around for other acupuncturists but most of them do all kinds of fancy, expensive add-ons using moxa which is some kind of smelly thing. Others use incense, essential oils or have other herbal products that stink up their offices. So I gave up and waited.

I wanted to give acupuncture a serious try. I've read on numerous sites it can help with thyroid dysfunction and autoimmune diseases. Since I can't do thyroid medications, I wanted to find something that would get my thyroid working on its own without inciting any kind of autoimmune attack. Most supplements incite attacks.

I found this guy who didn't do herbs or incense. He said he did moxa with some patients, but I opted for the first appointment of the day when the office wouldn't be contaminated. His room smelled fine. I checked out his bathroom before I made the appointment. It's a bad sign when a bathroom has air fresheners or scented soap. It screams UNENLIGHTENED. His bathroom smelled very unscented and clean.

The first appointment was kind of fun. He reviewed my health history, we discussed diet. He said he thought I had a yin deficiency and a yang deficiency and he listed various foods that would support health. This gave me hope. He is the only health care provider who seemed to have a theory for my full-body inflammation and my digestive problems. He asked if I could do the rubbing alcohol he uses to sanitize skin, but told me it wasn't necessary. I appreciated his awareness and thoughtfulness and say, "No thanks. It stinks." At one point he discussed how fear can affect our health in various ways. As I laid there pondering silently why I would be in fear, he said, "It must be frightening to walk into a location or room and wonder if you are going to be poisoned." Wow. He seems to have more of a grasp for my chemically sensitive situation than I do. I was quite happy with him.

I'm very sensitive to everything around me so discomfort wouldn't be a surprise. The first needle he stuck in me inspired a loud, "Ouch" and he removed it opting for some kind of weird band-aid needles that just sit on your skin. Even some of those felt like a bee sting and for the next few days I felt like I had a sliver embedded in my skin. He did some acupressure, kept checking my pulses, looking at my tongue. It was fun. I liked the heater on my cold feet.

I didn't feel any different. At least it didn't make me feel worse. He said it usually takes 3-5 visits to notice a change. OK. I was hopeful.

At the second appointment I arrived early as usual. After an hour and half drive I always have to go to the restroom. It stunk like a toxic waste dump. What the FUCK? So what do I do? I can't lay around with needles in me while my bladder feels like it's exploding and I can't leave and find another bathroom or I'd be late. I peed as quickly as possible, holding my breath for as long as possible. It bothered my lungs but I didn't feel sick or anything.

I lay on the table and before I even know what is happening he swabs me all over with rubbing alcohol. Damn. He does a variety of extra things, more than what he did the first appointment, but he did inform me he is being careful not to overdo it. He also contradicts nearly everything he said during the first appointment, especially about diet. Hmmm...maybe he's having a bad day. It is, after all, his first appointment on a Monday morning.

After the appointment I have to pee again so I find a bathroom in a store. It has air fresheners. Damn. So that's three exposures in a matter of an hour. I'm starting to feel really lousy. I start feeling really hungry. Quadruple damn. I ate a salad for breakfast with no protein and since it's been too long since I ate it and I start to feel it. I get something to eat, but I fear I waited too long. Thirty minutes after the acupuncture treatments, the headaches start. By the time I get home I feel sick, light-headed, joint pain, and I crash. I can hardly sit up due to exhaustion. The migraines become unbearable.

So what happened and what is causing this, my constant question? The usual suspects are the exposures...or the acupuncture. The exposures wouldn't exhaust me. More importantly, I'm ravenous. I can't go an hour without food or the headaches, nausea, and exhaustion return and become debilitating. These are thyroid symptoms, not MCS.

The night before my next acupuncture appointment I am thinking maybe I should give it another try to confirm what my instincts are telling me: the acupuncture treatment worked...it revved up my thyroid too much causing an autoimmune attack. I've been exhausted and sick all week. I don't like the idea I'd have to leave not 1 1/2 hour for the drive, but I'll have to add another half hour to find a suitable bathroom. I'm feeling stressed and angry about this appointment. If it is the acupuncture, I don't want to go through that again. I call and cancel.

At this point I'm convinced it was the acupuncture. I was sick for three weeks before I started feeling better. I might wait a bit and try it again, but three weeks of hell isn't worth another experiment.

That was my last health care option. I'm out of ideas.

2 comments:

  1. How disappointing! Especially after he seemed to understand. I find the most frustrating thing about acupuncture is that each practitioner has such different results! I can't recommend acupuncture as a practice because of this observation. It can be a powerful tool. But so expensive to find the right one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and there are so many acupuncturists out there! It's become way too popular so it's harder to discern if they know what they are doing. I think this guy was getting results, but it was just too much. If I wasn't so afraid of another bad reaction I'd try him again...but...

      Delete