Friday, May 10, 2019

Paradise

Oh, how I love spring when everything is growing and blooming! I constantly catch myself gazing out a window marveling in the wonder and miracle of this season. Initially it's a lot of work with an abundance of weeding, cleaning the beds, removing leaves left over from winter hibernation and then planting vegetable seeds and new perennials. This year I'm growing an artichoke plant and I've transplanted about five lilac bushes so my house will be surrounded. But the work feels so rewarding especially as the weather improves, the sun shines and the air smells so fresh.

Yesterday as I was out pulling bluebells, I kept getting hit with a scent so strong my first inclination was to panic. WHERE IS THE PERFUME COMING FROM? It takes my brain a second to realize it's not perfume, but the lilac tree! When the realization settles, I calm, close my eyes, breathe deeply, and revel in the magic of such a glorious smell. I'm pretty sure this is why humans invented toxic perfume as a substitute.



My whole front yard smells like lilacs due to the gigantor tree I have. It seems far more pungent this year perhaps due to the trimming I gave it last fall hoping it'll plump up with more foliage and blossoms...which it did. I've also been cutting the blossoms and putting them in vases and the scent hits me in the house when I least expect it. Every time, my adrenaline rushes for a second before I realize the source. Then I sigh.


I think this is what heaven smells like...



No comments:

Post a Comment