I headed to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) to see the Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition and to try to figure out parking in advance. Online the website said there is street parking if you don't want to pay. Well, street parking is a thirty minute walk in a deserted industrial area. I shouldn't say "deserted" as there were plenty of homeless laying on the streets, sitting smoking under the bridges, or milling about. I didn't feel safe leaving the van parked in this area. Parking at OMSI was $5 for two hours or $8 for all day.
The Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition ticket cost came to $30 including parking. That included some minor discounts. Interesting exhibit and I'm glad I did it. I had the urge to do something touristy since I so rarely treat myself to anything but fattening deserts. I liked the exhibits: artifacts brought up from the ocean, photos, displays, and educational information. It would have been a great exhibition if it wasn't so crowded! And noisy! They offered headsets that read you the display labels, but too many parents decided they needed to read aloud everything to their kids. Good god! It was like stereo speakers with one parent on one side reading one and another parent on the other side reading something totally different. I thought I'd go crazy! I had to plug my ears with my fingers in order to read to myself without the constant reading aloud interruptions. I would have loved the exhibit without PEOPLE!
The new information I gleaned was fascinating. First class tickets cost in modern day equivalent over $100,000!!! Who can afford that? Even the very rich, how can they even justify it? The modern day equivalent of a third-class passenger's ticket cost was about $900! Even that is expensive! I always assumed third-class were incredibly poor, but I guess not! Contrary to my past assumptions, the restaurant menus for each class were displayed and third-class ate very well!
I found the findings of artifacts very interesting. Whole suitcases with paper items (music sheets, postcards, money, etc.) were found still intact. Some luggage with clothes preserved especially if they were in leather bags which held together even after eighty years. One case had perfume samples belonging to a perfume manufacturer who was bringing the samples to the USA to try to sell. In that day and age they manufactured natural perfumes from bergamot, rose, lavender...and the perfume in the bottles still smelled!
The displays often had one item, but the label said many were found. I think they should have displayed more than one. There was a tin (?) container of toothpaste they believe the White Star Line gave for free to passengers since so many were found. Why only display one? Why not multiple so we can see the front, top and bottoms of the box? Same with dishes. Why display one? I would rather have been amazed at the volume of what was discovered preserved on the ocean floor. Yeah, I know that would be a lot more work transporting and displaying. I wonder if this exhibit is being shown in other locations simultaneously so they spread the artifacts around.
These au gratin dishes were displayed as they were found - in a row. It seems the wood cabinet in which they were stored kept them safe during the sinking, but on the ocean floor the sea water disintegrated the cabinet leaving the dishes. I find it fascinating so much of the dishware was not broken.
Upon entry they give you a "boarding pass" with the biography of one of the passengers on the back. At the end, you can scan your boarding pass and the computer tells you if your passenger lived and what became of them. The first boarding pass I chose was a man's name. I traded him in for a "Mrs. Henry William Frauenthal (Clara Heinsheimer).
I've read a lot of Titanic biographies over the years. Some are very dramatic, others very mundane. Very little about most of the passengers. I've always wondered what kind of lasting trauma survivors experienced. No one likes to talk about that. I assumed if I had a "Mrs." she was probably first-class and survived. Both my passenger and her husband survived. I wonder if their mental health was a direct result of their Titanic experience? This doesn't say if Henry Frauenthal, her husband's brother survived (mentioned on the back of the boarding pass) and I didn't look at the final list of victims and survivors for his name.




No comments:
Post a Comment