Sunday, October 4, 2026

Second Great Adventure 2026 SUMMARY

Done and over. The end of year two of traveling around like a gypsy: Northern California, Oregon, and Nevada. Here are the highlights:

MOST FAVORITE PHOTO:


OTHER FAVORITE PHOTOS:






BEST GHOST TOWN:

Bodie State Historic Site

BEST TOURIST SITE:

Techatticup Ghost Town and Outdoor Museum:


MOST BEAUTIFUL NATIONAL PARK:

Yosemite National Park

SCARIEST EXPERIENCES:

Driving down a twisty turning narrow country mountain rounding a corner and coming face to face with a truck pulling a massive horse trailer on MY side of the road. We missed each other by no more than an inch.

Check engine light coming on way up in Sequoia National Forest. I imagined the worst. It eventually went off after an hour of driving and stopping for an hour. I sighed with relief.

WORST EXPERIENCES:

Working like a dog for two days for someone who has EMF sensitivities in exchange for a parking spot. It kicked in autoimmune attacks and I thought I'd keel over from the exhaustion and weakness. It was not worth it. Live and learn.

Overnighting in Pilot Truck Stop because Ford refused to postpone my appointment on a day that would have given the mechanic more time. Actually, all Ford dealerships are my worst experiences!

MOST IRRITATING EXPERIENCES:

Paying $15 to have my voting ballot forwarded and it took weeks, beyond the voting deadline. I didn't pick it up and it took two months to arrive back to my address! What a waste of time and money!

Making an appointment with an auto shop, waiting a week for it, and then I'm told, "Oh, sorry, we can't work on your van." Jerks. What a waste of time! Too many of them pull this cute little trick and then say, "But we can do your oil change!" I've learned. The last place that pulled this, I walked out refusing the oil change and took the van somewhere else.

I'm calling her the blueberry thief. I graciously and generously volunteered to give her some of my handpicked, organic blueberries which she accepted and in front of my face she gave them away to someone else. I was livid.

BEST LAUNDROMATS:

Speed Queen Coin Laundry, 5th Street, Newport, Oregon

Lodgepole Visitors Center, Sequoia National Park, California (only $2.00 and clean!)

BEST SWIMMING POOL:

Ella Redkey Swimming Pool, Klamath Falls, Oregon

BEST TOWNS:

Corvallis, Oregon

Jacksonville, Oregon

Oakland, Oregon

Weaverville, California

WORST TOWNS:

Coos Bay, Oregon

Madras, Oregon

Brookings, Oregon

BEST ROADS [in the whole of North America!]:

Oregon

BEST GROCERY STORE:

First Alternative Food Co-op, Corvallis, Oregon

BEST FOOD: (In order of deliciousness!)

Gluten-free S'mores Cheesecake from the Astoria Food Co-op!

Gluten-free Chocolate Cream Pie from the First Alternative Food Co-op in Corvallis!

Organic U-Pick Blueberries!

Free Side of the Road Blackberries!

BEST HIKE:

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area

STATE MOTTOS:

Oregon: NO OVERNIGHT PARKING!

Nevada: TAKE AS MANY AS YOU WANT!

California: BE PREPARED TO STOP!

MOST FUN:

Beach walking and hiking the Oregon Coast

MOST BEAUTIFUL CAMPING SPOTS:

Cape Meares, Oregon Coast:

Point Brays, Oregon Coast:

Blue River Reservoir, Oregon:

John Day River near Clarno, Oregon:


CONTINUED ACCOMPLISHMENTS I'M VERY PROUD OF:

I have not once spilled my pee pitcher all over the van, even in the middle of the night, even when my ankle was broken.

I have not once ran out of gas.

I have not once locked my keys in the van.

I have not once dropped my keys in an outhouse pit toilet. (OMG! My greatest fear!)

I have not once this trip got a chip in my new windshield! Driving the backroads worked!



No comments:

Post a Comment