Monday, June 4, 2012

Salmon with Broccoli, et al. (Recipe)

The bioenergy testing I've had done said I was slightly sensitive to salmon so I've always rotated it. When I did eat it, I'd have weird and violent nightmares all night which clearly indicates I just ate something I shouldn't have. Even the wild salmon that is supposed to be less toxic gave me nightmares and if I'd buy it from Fred Meyer stores, I'd also get very sick. Then I discovered wild Sockeye salmon from Bristol Bay, Alaska that I can find in the freezer case of my local food co-op. Oh, the flavor and texture are superb! AND...no nightmares!  It's not cheap, anywhere from $10 to $12 depending on the piece, but it lasts for at least four one-person meals.




I've been eating a lot of it as it is packaged as a whole half salmon, frozen and deboned. I bake the whole piece at once and eat it for a few days plain or in various recipes. No nightmares. Not a one! Lots of omega-3s, vitamin A, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and selenium. Although there has been some controversy over mercury levels in salmon, I recently read an article that said selenium is a mercury detoxifier so the high levels of selenium in fish take care of the problem naturally. Hooray! I'm pretty sure adding more salmon in my diet has contributed to my drop in cholesterol and possible the improved thyroid lab results as well.

This salmon-broccoli meal is my favorite.

Organic Oregano - Yum.
See the teenager broccoli in the background?
He's getting big!

Ingredients:
4- 8 ounces of salmon
4 tablespoons olive oil

4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch oregano, snip off leaves, cut into pieces
2 or more cups broccoli,  bite-sized pieces

(I always tried to add as much broccoli as will fit in the pan for two reasons: first, I like to load up on veggies, and second, with leftovers it always looks like there is not enough broccoli - as if it has disappeared overnight in the fridge.)




Bake salmon in the oven on a baking sheet covered with olive oil at 350 degrees for fifteen to twenty minutes depending on size and thickness of piece. Cool slightly.





With a fork separate into small chunks removing any bones.



In a large sauté pan, add oils and heat to medium. Add pepper, onion, garlic sautéing slightly for a few minutes. (Aren't those colors beautiful?) Mix in oregano.



Place salmon on top, but don't stir. If you stir the salmon mixes with the oil and turns to mush. It's best to keep the salmon in small chunks. Place broccoli on top of salmon. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover with lid for about ten minutes or until broccoli pieces are barely cooked. Remove from heat and carefully toss the salmon and broccoli into the oil mix.

Serve. Yum.


3 comments:

  1. Yummmm I used to love BBQ'd salmon dusted with tea leaves and lemon. Until we realized eating tea leaves was giving us reflux. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete