Saturday, June 23, 2012

Garage Sale Treasure!

I went estate sale shopping. I saw some of the photos of what they were going to sell online so I knew the house had a pile of quilts and bedspreads. I was hoping to find a new bedspread. They had linens in a bedroom and the quilts in a large closet on a table, but on closer inspection they were too worn, faded and raggy to be used. Disappointed, I started to walk away.

For some unknown reason I turned around and looked up. On the top shelf of the closet, way in the corner, there was a plastic blanket bag with something bright pink in it. Not just any bright pink, but MY bright pink. The color of the walls in one of my rooms.

No way. The estate sale people put a price sticker on the bag so it wasn't something that was missed. Why was is way up out of sight?  Hmmm... I took it out. Wow. Excellent shape.



The price tag said $5.00. FIVE DOLLARS!

My neighbor who is a quilter came over for a look. She says it's hand quilted! Not machine-made, HAND-QUILTED. The fabrics used look like they are from the early 1970s, maybe late 1960s. 100% cotton. It's hardly been used. Slightly smelly from being washed long ago, but I've washed it twice with Planet and vinegar on low cycle and it'll be offgassing whatever stink is left in the guest bedroom.  Very cool. Unfortunately, it's for a twin bed so I'm still looking for a larger size, but it's beautiful.

SCORE!

3 comments:

  1. Your house is so pretty! Glad you got a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It rains 12 months out of the year here so when I moved into this house I told everyone I was going to make the upstairs look like I was living in a cartoon - bright and cheerful. All the rooms are a different color. Like a quilt. The bathroom upstairs is painted to look like a quilt with different color squares.

      Delete