Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Un-Ice Cream, or Banana Cream (Recipe)

This is a dessert for all you cavemen and cavewomen out there who are not eating sugar. Unfortunately, bananas are too high on the glycemic index for the Hashimoto's people. 

Banana Cream with Raspberries


My Banana Cream recipe is a good transition if you are trying to not eat sugar, but want something sweet, especially if you are having a tough time giving up the sweet stuff. I suppose if you love ice cream, you might not see the similiarities, but for someone like me who rarely ate ice cream, this frozen banana dessert is the perfect substitute.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 to 2 bananas, peeled

1/4 cup coconut milk (full-fat)

1/4 cup water (optional)

1/2 cup (more or less) frozen berries of any kind (optional for flavors)

First, take peeled bananas, cut them into bite-sized pieces and freeze them. I freeze several bananas at a time in a big container. This is a great way to save bananas that are getting over ripe and you don't have time to eat them all or make something with them. Bite-sized pieces makes them easier to blend, too. Don't leave them in the freezer for a long time (more than a month?) or they turn brown and mushy even while frozen. Use them when they are still white and they'll even look like ice cream all whipped up.


In a blender, add 1/4 coconut milk, 2 frozen bananas cut in small pieces, and 1/2 cup or more of berries. My favorite are blueberries, but strawberries are good, too. Liquify until smooth. You may need to stop the blender, pushing the fruit to the bottom, loosen it up so it all gets a chance to evenly whip. It should be smooth like soft ice cream when finished.

If it seems too thick because the bananas are getting stuck in the blender blades, add some water, but not too much or it'll get too thin.


The Un-Ice Cream Dessert


Put in bowl.  Eat. Yum.


I ate this for the first two months of the gluten-, sugar-, dairy-free diet, then stopped when I finally realized bananas were too high in natural sugar. Now that I'm not eating bananas,  I'm not experiencing sugar crashes or headaches which are common for people with Hashimoto's indicating blood sugar issues.



9 comments:

  1. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmm

    I find my blender has a really hard time with the frozen bananas. takes forever to blend them and have to add tiny bits at a time. Maybe I need a new blender!

    Looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. Once the bananas start to soften the whip easier. I find the blending is a slow process. If you get a new blender, let me know what kind. I'd like to get a new one, but I have no idea which ones are quality.

      Delete
  2. Bananas are salicylate-free. But not coconut or berries. Maybe I can add soya milk instead. Hehehe..... Yum-yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my list of 10 things no one should ever eat, soy is at the top. It's the top most genetically modified food, most men are allergic to soy and its a hormone disruptor. It also messes with breast cells which is why women who have had breast cancer are told not to eat it. I'd stay away from soy! Use water if you must. The only reason I add coconut milk is because I'm supposed to eat it. You don't need to add any liquid if your blender can chop up frozen bananas easily.

      Delete
    2. I should say it's not "my" list of things that should never be eaten, I got it out of a book...

      Delete
    3. What is the soy beans are non-GMO? There are organic non-GMO soya farms around.

      Delete
    4. Everything I've read says non-GMO soy products are rare. Same with corn. There is such a high demand for both, it's nearly impossible to not grow them without. And since GMO products don't have to be labeled, you have no idea what you are getting.

      Delete
    5. But still, I don't like things that mess with my hormones or my breasts. I have too many friends who have had breast cancer.

      Delete