Monday, September 10, 2012

Pain, Potatoes and Positivity

The Three P's. I'm into the alphabet lately.

I've been sinking into negativity for the last two weeks. It might be because of the construction worker overload, or my horrid neighbors, or my lack of income, or my painful arms, but maybe it's just my bad attitude and cheating on my diet? OK, time to confess.

 
Potatoes! Damn. Might it be potatoes? I've never had a problem with potatoes, but they are nightshades. One of the most common side effects of nightshades is pain.  It is said if you can stay away from a food for over a month, then eat it, you should be able to tell if you react to it. I've never really eaten a lot of potatoes and it's been at least six months since I've been near one.

They are NOT ALLOWED on the Paleo/Hashimoto's diet due to the negative effects of starchy carbohydrates on blood sugar so I gave them up. Just to eat something different, I tried some last week and again this week. Yum. Homemade French fries or rather potato slices baked on a pan of olive oil. Not really fried, but still tasty. Didn't seem to have any reaction, but was I really looking closely at my symptoms?

I've been in pain for the last two weeks and it does get worse when I eat a potato. Coincidence? Hmmmmm... I had a baked potato yesterday and last night I awoke in the middle of the night with my whole body burning and in pain. And the negativity is always a clue although I am quick to blame it on any number of things besides food. Ponder, ponder. It's always such a mystery.

So let's see if I can get my diet back on track and force feed myself some positive attitude to see if it makes a difference:


The "Secret" Reinforcements:

1.) I am grateful for all the money that comes to me easy and frequently.

2.) I am grateful for my perfect health and feeling wonderful everyday.

3.) I am grateful for all my wonderful fragrance-free friends.

4.) I'm grateful for all my energy.

5.) I'm grateful for all the wonderful activities that keep me busy, entertained and cheerful year round.

6.) I'm grateful construction workers are helpful, kind, respectful, trustworthy, professional and down right joyous to be around.

7.) I am grateful for my perfect neighbors who are kind, considerate, respectful and responsibly train and socialize their pets so they can live in a neighborhood without being an obnoxious nuisance.

Gratitudes:

1.) I'm grateful for my house not falling down around me. It's much, much, much older than I am with just as many creaks, but it's still strong and reliable.

2.) I'm grateful for Peter's fortitude and positive spirit.

3.) I'm grateful I found this diet that I am religiously following.

4.) I'm grateful for my willpower.

5.) I'm grateful I'm not in debt.

6.) I'm grateful I get to see Jason Mraz in concert this month. YIPPEE!

7.) I'm grateful for my garden growing like crazy.

8.) I'm grateful for my vehicle that keeps on working.

9.) I'm grateful for my income.

10.) I'm grateful to be self-reliant and independent.


Update: I've been potato-free for almost a week now and I still have pain. It started going away so I got a little too confident with lifting things and typing more and it came back. I'm taking it easy for a little longer.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I don't think so. I've checked symptoms for fibromyalgia a long time ago and other than pain, I don't have them. This also happens to me with tomatoes, another nightshade. I gave up tomatoes and it all went away. Until now. But right now it's just my hands and arms with nerve-like pain sharp needles of pain.

      Makes me wonder if some cases of fibromyalgia are just a food intolerance to nightshade, or types of arthritis? Doctors are quick to give drugs without finding out why someone is in pain.

      Delete
  2. Or Carpal-Tunnel? One of the symptoms of Hashimoto is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just overuse, probably related to carpal tunnel since it is now nerve pain more than muscle pain. The muscle pain is gone but left the inflammation/swelling which is causing the nerve like pain. Since I've had carpal tunnel surgery and HAVE NO carpal tunnels as they were sliced apart many years ago it wouldn't matter. I'm dependent on my hands and arms so I can type and I need to do a better job of watching what I do and this summer I over did it. My bad....

      Delete
    2. Oh dear.... Maybe warm towels would help. Or hot water bottles. That was what I was told when I had severe neck and back ache. Get well SOON!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Or five hot baths a day! Hot water feels really good. I was soaking in hot water, then cold water, hot, cold, hot when I thought it was muscle damage and I think that might have healed the muscles. Now I'm doing hot. I think it's strange it helps because if the inflammation swells the joints, you'd think the hot water would swell it more causing more nerve pressure, but hot feels better.

      Delete
    4. Today my hands have been cold and numb all day. I haven't been doing much in the last week and the pain has gone away, but it always feels like it is just on the cusp of getting painful again. I'm being really careful, but I have to go back to typing at the end of the week.

      Delete