Saturday, April 27, 2013

Multi-Purpose Furniture for a Tiny House

Since I can't find a rental, I'm seriously considering jumping right into the tiny house idea and planning how I can possibly fit into a small space and still live comfortably. Where will I put my five shelves of books? What about my desk, which is nearly 10 x 10 all by itself? I could fit my whole office into a larger, tiny house, but then where would I put my bed?
 
I was recently sent a link to a design company with furniture that served two purposes. It would look like a desk with computers or books on it, pull it down and there's your bed. The amazing part was the desk would still be intact with the computer and books on top of it only now stored under the bed. The technology is amazing. Things pulling down or folding up serving two purposes in one small space. The link I was sent is no longer working, but I'll keep searching. Here's a similar idea with a wall bed from OrgHome:
 
 
 
 
 
 
Grant it, this particular model wouldn't fit in my tiny house, but you get the idea.
 
 
Here's another idea from Ghoofie:
 
 


 
Fun stuff! Designs are embracing the tiny house idea with multi-purpose tables, couches, chairs, kitchen sinks serving as bathtubs (eeewww...).
 
Love it.

4 comments:

  1. The wall bed is aka a Murphy bed. We had one in our 1930s bungalow in Berkeley. It was in the dining room, as part of the built in china cabinet. I love really clever multipurpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember looking for my first apartment many years ago and seeing them. I thought they might be a hassle, like a hid-away couch, as when it's in the wall you'd have to be sure not to put anything in front of it so you wouldn't need to constantly move things to bring it down. I still think it might be a hassle, but a necessary one in a tiny space.

      Delete
  2. In fact, I remember an I Love Lucy episode in which the Murphy bed folded up with Lucy still in it!! Pretty funny. Improper counterweighting.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sisters have Murphy beds and love em. Great idea. I hope you find a house that suits!

    ReplyDelete