Monday, April 15, 2013

The Expedition


It was a three-hour drive out of the hinterlands. I wasn't sure what to expect. More hinterland? More trailer trash with dumpy houses and junk yard properties? No, it can't get worse than where I live now. Well, maybe it can! I braced for the worst doing my best not to get my hopes up too high.

The drive was absolutely stunning. I can't believe I've never road-tripped in that direction! Lots of green trees, sea water on one side, mountains on the other, and rain all around. The farm lands were spectacular and I spent the time dreaming of the perfect plot of land with a perfect little house on it just for me. Wonderful area. It would be good to rent here so I could take my time and explore. It has great potential.

Then I got to town. It was little, but big. Much bigger than my town, but it still felt small and quaint. Lots of different kinds of stores. I made it down to the old town center and it looked like something out of a western movie circa 1800. WOW! Oh, look at the Victorian mansions on the hill above! I headed up there and found what looked like a separate, second town center with a Farmers' Market!!! With gluten-free booths and organic produce! I was nearly hyperventilating I was so excited and amazed. Everyone was so nice. And gorgeous men walking around without a care in the world.

I found the co-op. Bigger than the one I shop at and the prices about the same, but you don't have to write those obnoxious codes for everything. Lots of nice, smiling people. Plenty of parking. So wonderful. The only thing wrong with it was they sell those damn unsweetened carob chips which are really hard to find. My weakness! Normally I have to drive an hour or more to buy them which controls my temptation. They are not on the Paleo-Hashimoto's diet.

Next I went in search of the cottage. I had an hour before the appointment. Hmmm...the landlady said her house was "on the other side of the property" from the cottage. I think she meant ten feet away. A little too close. I felt a little disappointed and then worried about what else she mislead me to believe or just didn't tell me. By that time though, I was in love with the town and determined to move there.



I went back down to the co-op to peruse their bulletin boards for other rental notices. I found a few. I asked employees where I should look for information and a customer standing nearby said he is currently renting while his house is being built. He warned most rentals are not advertised and to find a real estate agent or property manager for assistance. He gave me the name and address of his.

The real estate agent, non-smelly and eager as only real estate agents can be, was very helpful and kind. She didn't have much in the way of rentals, but we discussed property and tiny houses. Then she said, "Did you see the pods? Drive two blocks down the street and have a look." I had already been up and down that street several times so I wasn't sure what she was talking about. Pods?


PODS!!! OH MY GOD!! REAL LIFE PODS! Housing for the chemically sensitive made right here! I'll write a separate post for the company Greenpod. I felt as if I had come home! This is serendipity! I got so overwhelmed I'm pretty sure left my brain in one of the pods.

It was time for my appointment. I took one look at the landlady and felt a bond with her. She was my people!! I connected with her immediately. She had beautifully painted walls with original art on each one and such a warm smile and welcoming personality. She told me she moved to the area for the co-op. Same as me! Then her son came around the corner. He is so cute! Not the trailer trash, serial killers I expected.

The cottage was bigger than anticipated. I was expecting the size of a closet. Clean. The linoleum is ugly, but I can deal with that. Maybe I'll paint it? I asked about neighbors' dogs and any barking problems. The son points and as if on cue they are barking. But I didn't really notice it until he pointed it out. They are about 200 feet away. Hmmm...I tried to concentrate to determine if their noise would be too obnoxious, but every time I did, they would stop barking. I think they are far enough away that they wouldn't be too much bother. The rental is temporary so it'll be fine. The garden is beautiful, although a little overgrown and packed from fence post to fence post, but beautiful nevertheless. Compost bins, greenhouses, garden sheds, stone walkways, recycled rain barrels, and tiered beds. It was perfection. And right outside my cottage. The cottage windows face directly into the organic garden.

But where would Peter fit? Not much room anywhere. The side of the cottage? No, there is no room. The other side of the cottage? No, the property line is too close. Then the son pointed to the back of the garden. See the fence? See the little field beyond the fence with long grass and bushes? He was planning to put chickens back there someday, but maybe my rabbit would like it? REALLY?? Peter would love it! He even showed me some caging he had I could use and his mother said if I build the cage on the weekend, her son would be available to help. Her little bunny is a mini chocolate. So cute and much friendlier than Peter, but stuck in a hot greenhouse. I think I'll have to take him out for exercise now and then.

Can this be more perfect? I filled out the application and paid the deposit to hold it. I'm moving! Exile is OVER! I can't believe it. I feel like I've been in hell or at least in prison these past years. I've been released.

I'm so thrilled, although just a tad anxious. I hope my brain-less excitement didn't blind me to something important. When I got home I asked, What just happened? and stressed about the whole experience all night. I definitely failed miserably at remembering my safety checklist. Was I too impulsive? Wait a minute! I've been planning this for two years HOW could it be impulsive?  I'll go back again, inspect everything again and be more thorough before I sign the lease. If I lose the deposit, it's better than being poisoned. It's best to be sure. It's been a long time since I've had to go through this process. I'm a bit rusty.

It's an adventure. I need an adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not that I registered and I sat with the landlord in her house for at least an hour. I thought it a good sign she moved there because she shops at the co-op so I think she is at the very least health conscientious. Organic gardener, too. She understands chemicals. Hooray. The other neighbor is 200 feet away. So far so good!

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh! that is nearly miraculous! Yahooo!

      Delete