Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Real Dream Houses, Part 4: Greenpod

In a previous post, I described how I discovered Greenpod and the joy I experienced to see chemically sensitive housing in real life! They look much like models I'd seen online so I immediately recognized the simple, environmental, sustainable designs. I almost started crying as I was chanting, "Oh my god! Oh my god!" It was like a vision.


 
The owner, founder, and developer, Ann Raab, was the person who greeted me in the parking lot. What I didn't realize is this is a woman-owned business with women employees. Very cool.
 
 
They had two models on display. The smaller one was the studio plan. The interior space was about 10 x 20 feet (guessing) without any "living accessories": no toilet, sink, appliances. It was being used for examples of fabrics, colors, materials, etc..
 
Studio
 
The other model was a house. It was amazing. Very compact, but comfortable and most importantly, exceptionally environmentally-friendly, non-toxic and safe!
 
 
House
 
 
I loved all the windows and everything seemed so well-built and sturdy.
 
 
See the little storage unit outside with the vegetation wall? Ann said they just started it. Plants are placed in the grid and they grow right there eventually forming a wall of greenery. My kind of garden. Low maintenance!
 
Living Room
 
This is the view from the front door showing the living room. All the furniture and accessories are designer and simple using non-toxic materials. One of those switches on the wall next to the painting was the electrical magnetic turn off. Amazing. The walls aren't painted; they are made from ceramics.
 
 
Kitchen
 
To the left of the living room or if you walk to that backdoor in the living room photo and turn to the left and here is the kitchen view. All stainless steel with wood cabinets. There was an incredibly high-tech water purifier. You can barely see it in the upper left of this photo on the shelf. She explained all the different kinds of water. I was in so much awe, I don't even remember the details.
 
 
Bathroom
 
Turn all the way around, walk down the hall and halfway down is the bathroom with open shower to the right. I walked into the shower to take the photo. The tiles are granite and the walls of ceramic material. I love the beautiful colors. Everything felt like nature, all natural materials and natural colors. It was very soothing. I think I left my brain in the shower...
 
 
Hallway
 
Walk to the back room and look back to the kitchen and here is the view of the hall. The wood floors were so spectacular. What was odd is I kept expecting to smell SOMETHING. Wood varnish, new paint, caulking...something! Everything was too new not to smell. No smells at all. The weird thing about this model is the layout was almost exactly like a trailer I lived in during graduate school, nearly the same size, but much more sturdy. The trailer moved and creaked when I walked down the hall. This model didn't move at all. Not even a whisper. I felt very at home. It was like a cocoon.
 
 
Ann said the cost for the studio was about $20,000, but keep in mind it was just walls, floor, and doors. Probably electricity, too. The house model was $100,000 but that includes all the designer furniture, accessories, art, appliances, etc. Everything was made by local people.
 
These are just my memories. For real and accurate information check out their website:
 
 
Can I have one?
 
 


3 comments:

  1. I want one too! Minimal fuss and cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No smell? Seriously? Not even a little?

      I just sampled some new non toxic
      Products and I still reacted to their slight smell. I wonder how I'd do in this house. Gives me hope!

      Delete
    2. NONE! No smell at all! Now I didn't get my nose down into the furniture, this was just walking around, but I figured my plan wouldn't include their furniture. No smell at all from the wood, the ceramic walls and the granite/marble surfaces.

      Delete