Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Last Woman on Earth

The latest trends in television shows are post-apocalyptic themes applauding the end of civilization. We like the idea of wiping the slate clean and start over with new beginnings for humankind. The underlying message no matter how this theme is presented is: We really screwed this up.



Any number of things might cause this annihilation: nuclear war, alien attacks, viruses, Republicans, or some unknown sci-fi reason for all electricity to cease working. I love fiction. We are so forgiving and accepting of strange plot lines. There are always a few survivors left to pick up the pieces, but most importantly, the world is thrown into a pre-technological state. A storyline that would cause many television-addicted couch potatoes to panic, but for the rest of us we salivate at the thought of a simpler life.

My favorite show is The 100. It's about earth becoming uninhabitable due to an overabundance of radiation after a nuclear war and the only survivors were those on the space stations. The culture created from being cooped up on a space ship is fascinating. Any tiny infraction and the perpetrator is "floated" - death by space. Unless they are under age, then they go into juvie jail to await their eighteenth birthday and a court hearing to determine if they are capable of being model citizens. It's ruthless. After 97 years, the space stations are running out of air, so they send 100 juvenile delinquents to the ground to see if it's habitable yet. If it's not, bye-bye loser kids. I love the show. I'm addicted. Normally the writing is outstanding, but season two's finale just aired and it was absolutely horrible. Maybe it's the beginning of the end for this series? Still, I'm in the throes of withdrawals and I hate having to wait until September for a fix.

These themes are nothing new, in fact very old. Noah and his Ark comes to mind. God thought we (or he) fucked up royally and decide to start it all over. Great idea. And the biblical apocalypse ideal was invented before we even had technology! I guess no matter what time period, life has always sucked. Now though, if you are the only one on earth, there would be no wars, pollution would eventually dissipate, chemical production would stop, perfume-saturated people would cease to exist, evil people would be gone, plants would start growing over all the cement. Back to nature. No phones ringing, no computers demanding your attention, no televisions warping your mind, no news programs scaring you senseless. Peace and quiet.

Are you all watching that new show The Last Man on Earth? Well, it's another goofy comedy destined to keep us brain dead for summer. This one is about the aftermath of a virus that wipes out nearly the entire population save one guy. He's not a real smart guy and he's not really very survival oriented either. He spends most of his time trying to find ways to entertain himself: using lamps as bowling pins progressing to bowling with cars, driving through store fronts, and using a swimming pool for a toilet because he's too lazy to haul water. Mindless entertainment and immature destruction. From what I've read, it's getting more viewers than that cognitively-impaired cartoon Family Guy, an indication the middle-American viewers aren't real bright either. BUT it's one of those shows that sparks your imagination and inspires fantasy. What would it be like to be the only person left on Earth?

The opening episode shows this guy driving around the USA in a tour bus collecting whatever he wants: famous paintings, dinosaur skulls, Dorothy's ruby slippers, expensive wine, and the presidential seal. Each town and city he drives through, he uses the speaker system to call out for anyone else who is alive. He also posts notices all over that he is living in Tucson and come find him because he's exceptionally lonely (and desperately horny). Now, if you were the only person left on Earth, with no electricity or running water, would you go to Tucson? Land of 120 degree temperatures? Large snakes and spiders? No air conditioning? Hell no! It would be like living in Hell. See, he's not very smart.

What would you do if you were the last person on Earth? Chemical sensitivity makes one feel isolated, but what would it be like if there were no other people around to poison you?

I'd hit the road. Not necessarily to find other people as I think that could pose a problem in terms of safety. The series Revolution clearly spelled out the dangers one would face if all technology died. Survival is not a pretty sight if others [evil people] are still around. (I learn a lot watching TV!) However, eventually, I'd get curious. If I'm alive, it stands to reason someone else is still alive. I'd go searching just to make sure I'm the only one left. Rather than drive aimlessly looking for people, I'd have a plan. First, I'd find myself a gun, a crowbar, and a U-Haul. Eventually I might trade the U-Haul in for a really snazzy sports car like a Porsche or a four-wheel drive, but for now I need to gather supplies as I travel. I'd stock up on organic bedding and linens, healthy canned foods, gardening supplies, toilet paper, clothes, face masks, camping supplies, tools, more guns, a generator, first aid supplies, and lots of bottled water. I know someone who is a survivalist and she advises to have these things already stocked in your house just in case. Hmmm... I'd ransack Whole Foods. I might snatch a Monet or Rembrandt along the way, but only if it's convenient. I'd fill my U-Haul and head for temperate climates.

California, here I come! I think just north or south of San Francisco would be awesome. Near the ocean. Maybe Carmel. Not too hot not too cold. I'm sure I could find a lovely house with a nice sports car in the garage. Something with a pool. And lots of land with fruit trees and garden space. Or maybe I'd head down to San Diego to find Jason Mraz's avocado farm? That would be good. I could live off of avocados. Heck, maybe he survived? (Since I'm fantasizing I might as well make it good.)


The main character of this show is such a doofus he doesn't seem to have a clue how to survive or the inclination to think beyond one day. In the first episode he's living off packaged junk food and laying in a kiddie pool filled with alcohol while he drinks it from a long straw. The dream of all stupid people. I do understand it's all about the entertainment value, but even with this show the boredom of laziness takes it's toll and he decides to kill himself. It's the most ignorant attempted suicide I've ever seen, but again, it's just for entertainment. The star of the show isn't going to die in the first episode.

It's implied there is no meat since meals are made from "raisin balls" so I assume no animals survived? If they did in my apocalyptic world, I'd have to find some cows and bring them back to my new house in Carmel.  Chickens, sheep and a horse, too. If there aren't any animals, then I'd be living off canned foods until I can get a garden started. California would be good for some year round gardening.

If no animals survived then no dogs did either. That would be my dream. If humans died, but dogs didn't that would be very bad with all those hungry homeless hounds forming packs and looking for food. I'd have to arm myself with several [machine] guns. I'm going to have to ransack Cabelas, the hunter's vortex for all killing supplies.


The most obvious worry for me aside from starving dogs or surviving psychopaths would be you'd never want to need medical attention. Injuries or illnesses, even minor ones, might be life threatening. This is why I think the doofus's plan to drive himself in to a rock was really lame. If he didn't die, he could be in a whole lot of misery. I wonder what happened to all the dead people? This show is a comedy so a lot of the back story is ignored. Dead, rotting, diseased bodies all over? That could be a problem. Stores filled with rotten meat? It could get ugly.

With a generator I could use a washing machine. I wouldn't want to hand wash clothing or bedding. I can't imagine. That would be my worse nightmare. Water quality would be an issue as well as finding and maintaining a supply of quality food. What other negatives would there be?

Since this is my fantasy, I'll avoid thinking about negatives and just concentrate on how wonderful it would be. I'd spend my days gardening, harvesting food, gathering supplies, walking the beach and exploring. No crappy people, no dogs, no computers, no television, no money, no taxes, and lots of free stuff. The world would be my Freecycle. I would love being the last woman on Earth.

What would you do if you were the last person on Earth?

10 comments:

  1. It would be lonely for sure. But I think I'd have my material needs met. Even meds would be available for the rest of my life. No Internet though so information would be harder to get. Even libraries are largely digital. But I'd probably head to Santa Barbara, maybe Santa Cruz,Carmel, depending on the climate then. Highly improbably to be the only one though, so there is always the danger of others left alive. But with only a few people and unlimited stuff, why oh why would they be dangerous.... (rhetorical only). Just read Station 11 and The Girl With All the Gifts, both post-apocalyptic. Started to reread Oryx and Crake but that's just too intense. On the Beach is one from the 50s which is hugely depressing. People in New Zealand are the last ones left as the radiation cloud spreads to the poles. And then they start going. End of humanity. Part of it takes place in Edmonds, WA - I think of that scene every time I take the ferry there (someone jumps ship and runs up those empty Edmonds streets to die). Post-apocalyptic fiction used to be cautionary tales; now people are kind of into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But don't meds have expiration dates? So they'd stop working and you'd run out.

      I think I'd like it if information would be hard to get. I dream of a life without electronics. Not sure why since I love my computer so much. Maybe I really don't.

      I just ordered Jericho out of the library - a post-apocalyptic tv series. I have no idea if it will be good.

      Delete
  2. We just started Jericho tonight on your suggestion. It's good, but really intense.

    I think when the meds expire they mostly get weaker, probably exponentially. So you just take more. lalalalalalalala (what me worry?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear Jericho is good. It sounded good. I should get it soon. Last night I watched some of Life After People about how what we build and leave behind will fall apart, or not. It was a little boring (documentary rather than human story).

      LOL! lalalalalala That is funny!

      I am, however, practicing not being a worrier. I chant to myself "no worries, no worries, no worries". LOL.

      Delete
  3. You can't change behavior by saying the negative. What's the positive form of "no worries"? Other than lalalala, of course. Be happy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh damn, bad me. I usually say "I am so grateful for my stressfree life" but that's probably negative too isn't it? Well, I've changed it to LALALALALALA LOL.

      Delete
    2. I've been thinking about this... I have a genetic mutation that makes me worry. No one yet can tell me how to un-mutate myself. So is it a behavior can be changed? This same genetic mutation is responsible for bipolar illness and autism. Is bipolar or autism a behavior that can be changed with positive thinking? I don't think so. I try to be positive, but the fact is the only thing I can do once I start worrying is to circumvent it. It's not going to keep me from worrying, it's just going to talk me down from it. "No worries" works fine for this. And being happy has nothing to do with worry. I can be happy and worry at the same time! Which is often the case.

      Delete
  4. Genetic mutation? Sounding like Mutant-X! Hehe.....

    I really have no idea what I will do if I were the last person on earth. Maybe just wait to die? I've been thinking and could not come to any conclusion. I guess I have all I need and that I am wanting for nothing. So even if I am the last person, I don't think there's anything to be done or to regret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good God that is negative!? You will just wait to die? Girl Alive, who has been fighting for her life for years now will just "wait to die"? I don't believe it for a second.

      Just think, if you were the last person on earth, all the haze would go away! Would you stay where you are now? And continue to have a garden in your driveway so you can live off canned food??? Really? I don't believe it...what you have in your house WILL run out in a very short time. What will you do? (On your mark, get set, go...)

      Delete