Friday, March 13, 2015

The Poet I Am...Green Eggs and Ham

My favorite poetry is Dr. Seuss and that is also, for the most part, the extent of my poetry knowledge. It's because of Dr. Seuss that I can honestly say I really like poetry and have thought (to myself) how nice it would be to write poetry. I love song lyrics, too. They are poetry. Yes, I do like poetry.

My newly reacquainted ex-best friend from junior high is a poet. For as long as I can remember she has written poetry. I have never read any of her poems, but she used to always tell me she likes to write them and even now this is one of her hobbies. I am eager to read what she writes, but she never shares.

Last week when she re-disclosed her love of poetry, not only did it reinforce she really hasn't changed, but it got me thinking about writing poetry and how many poems I've never written. Whoa! Wait a minute! I wrote a poem once! Well, a half poem. Do I still have my single attempt at verse? I went searching for the elusive half poem in my computer's archives and there it was, still sitting there, not writing itself after four years.

Four years ago I read a few books on a subject that reminded me of how bad life can be. My life is really good, comparatively. It always amazes me how sheltered we can be to the pain of others if we are not experiencing the same situation. All this thinking touched my heart, fired up my creative juices, and forced my non-poetic brain into overdrive. I felt an odd poetic compulsion. Out of no where I composed about fifteen disjointed lines. Some of them even rhymed (!) and that made me feel inspired and officially poetic.

Unfortunately what I wrote needed something more. I left blank spaces between the lines to signify the missing something more and placed question marks where the wording needed something more. I had no idea what the something more was and I felt frustrated not being able to express my newly inspired passion before its impending fizzle. And here is what stops me from writing poetry every time - IT'S HARD! So I stopped, saved, and closed the document.

So last week I looked at my half poem with new eyes and ex-best-friend inspiration and thought Hey, it's half done! It even has a title. Wouldn't it be nice to write one poem in my lifetime just to say 'Yes! I have written a poem!' I have never included "write a poem" on any bucket list I've ever written, but I can do this if I put my mind to it. It can't be that hard. And my poem is going to rhyme, damn it. So I wrote....

When it was sort-of finished, I questioned if real poets would laugh and wondered if what it's missing would be clear to an experienced poet, but blind to a novice like me. I felt accomplished at least, although insecure about it. I went to the library to look at real poetry. In my untrained opinion, if it doesn't rhyme, it's not poetry. Anyone can write down a bunch of words in random order, pretend it's symbolic, and call it poetry. I suppose if it doesn't rhyme, but it makes you feel something that would work. However, I want rhyme and feeling. Is that too much to ask? If it doesn't rhyme it's missing a cleverness that just screams LAZY! to me. Reading poetry instruction books didn't help either. They just reinforced how little I know about proper poetry. I'm sure I had a brain block after all those years of Dr. Seuss readings.

So I thought I should find an online poetry reading support group or any online resource for some scrutiny on my new work of art. Lots of websites. I didn't even know where to start. Most of them gave directions on how to get your poetry collection published, but I only have one poem. Others wanted to own the copyright, but I wasn't sure what that would involve. I just wanted someone to read it and give me information.

What does one do with one poem? I emailed every friend I have to find out if they had advice or experience. All claimed they didn't know anything about poetry which I totally understand. One friend suggested a greeting card contest which would have been a great idea if my poem was greeting card material. (The thought, though, makes me laugh. If you ever read my poem, you'll understand.) What was worse is no one even asked to read my poem! I just want someone to read it!

So what does one do with one poem? Do I just leave on my computer for eternity or until I die at which time my files will be destroyed? Do real poets just write poems without ever sharing? Like any art: painting, music, or writing, doesn't it have added value and meaning when you share it? What is the point if it's not shared? I think sharing is the cherry on top. Maybe that's what separates real poets from pseudo poets? Real poets don't care about the cherry...or the rhyme. Or maybe real poets care, but like artists, the expression is too personal so sharing makes them feel too vulnerable? And criticism is too violating?

If anyone out there knows a good place to submit newbie poetry or join a poetry critique, let me know!



7 comments:

  1. You could publish it first on your blog :) (eyebrows raised in anticipation)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a Kenneth Patchen poem:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9c/59/56/9c5956edd3b9ccc055a45fbb848bff3c.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a poem according to the Multiple Chemical Survivor Book of True Definitions. No rhyme, no feeling. It's just a dog worshipping inscription...for some really cool art. Hmmm...which begs the question: could the art stand on its own without the inscription? And could the inscription stand on its own without the art?

      Delete
  3. Just an example of his style. He has many with both rhyme and feeling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like his art. It's weird and bright and kind of violent. But I am haunted by an art professor who once told me if you need words to get your message across, you have failed to say anything. I personally like words in art, but prof was right - your eye goes to them immediately negating the imagery. I didn't see any "poetry" though, just labels.

      Delete
    2. I think his art would fit my poem. I can see it on a huge canvas.

      Delete