Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The "No Poo" Movement

Years ago when I was a teenager I read in a beauty magazine about a girl who stopped washing her hair. The thought grossed me out, but she explained how she believed the toxic ingredients in shampoo were damaging our skin, scalp and body. We weren't born to use chemicals and our hair has a natural cleansing process if we'd just leave it alone. She described the transition between constant shampooing and no shampooing. I was fascinated. After a few weeks of a greasy, dandruffy, oily head, her normally thick, yet dry, stringy and unmanageable hair became full, glossy, and gorgeous for the first time in her life. She claimed she hadn't washed her hair in years. I had thick, frizzy, dry, unmanageable hair and her story definitely made an impression. I didn't give up my shampoo at the time, but I've never forgotten it.

Today I found an article by a woman who has done the same experiment. You can read about her experience HERE. Shampoos are loaded with chemicals, many of them proven to cause cancer. It amazes me with all the information we have based on research that has been done, shampoos are still sold. No one seems to care because we are so conditioned to believe we are required to wash and strip our hair of all its natural oils and if we don't...eeewww...society will look down upon us and no one will like us. After all, it's all about being liked.

 
I have found few products I can tolerate and I only wash my hair once every two or three weeks as it is. I've also had many people ask me which shampoos are non-toxic and others who have told me they have very little tolerance to any soap. I usually suggest using baking soda, or like I do, Planet dish washing liquid, but even those options might not work for the extremely sensitive. But no shampoo!? Hooray! This anti-shampoo movement is being called "No Poo".

I love it! We can't control what chemical companies and manufacturers produce and market. We can't control the lies they tell with their fancy advertisements and erroneous claims. We CAN vote with our money, and by not purchasing these chemical-laden, toxic products, let those chemical and manufacturing companies know we aren't interested in poisoning ourselves anymore. The No Poo movement is one step toward a chemically-free world.

2 comments:

  1. This cannot work in our tropical country. We have extremely humid conditions where we sweat excessively everyday. We will stink to the heavens!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I don't know. back when no one took baths I wonder how they did it. Do we smell because of the garbage we are eating? Or that we overeat without enough exercise to burn all the stink off? Do we stink because we've been taught that it's bad to smell like a human? Or is it that we don't drink enough water to sweat properly and flush all the garbage out? Sweat shouldn't be a bad thing. But with your water shortages can you drink more water? The haze and pollution, can you even get away from the toxins? Probably not. I get the impression after three weeks or so you stop producing excessive oils, no dandruff, and maybe your hair wouldn't stink? I don't know...

      Delete