Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Blackened Salmon (recipe)

At the Naked Parade I tasted the best Blackened Salmon that the booth owner guaranteed was gluten-free. I immediately headed to the computer when I got home to find recipes I could test, combine and tweak to call my very own. Nothin' like a new way to eat a staple food. I've been getting pretty tired of the same old salmon.

Ingredients:
4 - 3 ounce skinless salmon fillets
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
spicy rub

Ingredients for Rub:

1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon basil (optional)
1 tablespoon oregano (optional)

It works best if all these herbs and spices are dry. I tried using the fresh herbs and it doesn't coat as well so you get large pieces of burned, or rather "blackened" gunk. It tastes better with the dried herbs and spices. Mix together in a bowl. Transfer to large, flat plate. Coat salmon pieces evenly on both sides with rub. Heat frying pan with olive oil until hot (medium heat), place salmon pieces in single layer, cooking for 4-8 minutes on one side, flip and cook the other side 4-8 minutes. Length of time depends on size and thickness of fillets. You just want to blacken them, not burn them to a crisp.

I warn you, this is HOT. Eat it with rice, bread or something equally forbidden to soak up the heat. I tend to sneeze if I get around too much cayenne and I only know this because I sprinkle it around the outside of my house as a bug deterrent. I've never eaten a lot of cayenne. I was sneezing and coughing non-stop for about 15 minutes after this meal.

I forgot to take photos. If I make it again, I'll add them.

No comments:

Post a Comment