Saturday, July 11, 2015

Garage Sale Day!

The estate sale company in my area was having an estate sale, but not only that, because the weather was going to be hot and summery everyone was having garage and yard sales! I made it a Garage Sale Day.  I shouldn't have started. It's not like I need more junk [to sell in my next garage sale], but I found some great stuff.

My neighbors across the street had a sale and unfortunately, she was selling her whole set of Harry Potter. Do I need Harry Potter books? No. I tried to sell the two I had in my last garage sale and came really close to donating them to charity. At one point I walked away, then checked to see which books I had, went back and bought the two that were in the best shape for a dollar. I just need three more for a set.

I went to the estate sale because the photos showed terracotta pots.



I love terracotta pots. Not sure why. Maybe because they match the bricks I use to line some of my garden beds? Maybe because they match my new re-stained fence (see a tiny section of the fence in the above photo). I do like that they breathe and tend to regulate water better than other types of pots. I bought two big ones and one square one. One of the pots came with this little dragonfly ornament. I love it.

 
The best find was a raincoat!! If you've read some of my earlier posts on shopping, finding a good raincoat that doesn't stink of chemicals and isn't made in China is nearly impossible. New ones cost up to $200- $300 for a good, quality brand that is waterproof, but they need to be washed at least twenty times before they are wearable.  I'm also looking for one with a hood. It would be also nice if it was my size and as used, in really good shape. I know how difficult this search is because I've been looking at both new and used coats for about eight years now. My current raincoat is about fifteen years old, the lining is ripped, the zipper doesn't work, and it's just not waterproof anymore. I hit the jackpot!  It's a Land's End brand with hood, working zipper, pockets, drawstrings, Gortex, and YELLOW.... BRIGHT yellow.

 
I'm guessing it's in such good shape because someone got it for Christmas, likes yellow as much as I do (NOT!) and never wore it. It's not a bad yellow, it just clashes with my skin tone and hair. I think when I get old and my hair turns white, it'll work fine. It'll look great with black which is my favorite clothing color. It is also made in China, but since I bought it used I think I can overlook that. It is also made with polyester a fabric I detest. And Gortex, but that helps it to be waterproof.  My old raincoat is also part polyester and it was a great coat. Aside from all that, it's an outstanding coat! I can't wait to try it out in the rain and see if it works. It's my SUNSHINE COAT!

I LOVE GARAGE SALES!

3 comments:

  1. Haha! What are you going to plant in those pots???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe carrots in the deep pots and I'm not sure about the square pot. Probably not until next year.

    ReplyDelete