Monday, July 20, 2015

Paleo Hummingbird Feeders

I've tried to create a hummingbird environment in my garden by planting flowers they love. I refuse to feed hummingbirds bleached and processed sugar, but that is the wide-spread recommendation. It can't be good. So many health food followers have had the overwhelming desire to be less toxic to wildlife and the inclination is to use water-diluted honey. Unfortunately honey and other more natural sugars can produce bacteria and fungus which would sicken or kill the sweet hummers.

This idea is outstanding! I can't believe I never thought of it before.

ORANGES!

 
Hummers love fruit juices from over-ripened fruit which is their diet in the wild when they are vacationing in the tropics for the winter.
 
I was told to take a piece of wood, nail a long nail through it and then place the half orange through the stick. OK, but then I couldn't figure out where to put it. Close to the ground or on a porch or ledge and the bugs and rodents might want a tasty treat. Then I noticed the bamboo sticks I have in my garden! I used a little plastic lid, drilled a tight hole that would fit over the bamboo resting it on one of the bamboo joints so it doesn't get pushed all the way down to the ground. Drill a hole through the orange and place it over the bamboo over the lid. It looks like a bright yet bizarre little flower. I think I'll add a bunch of them.

 
I have a little hummer who lives in my garden. I see him all the time and he buzzes me often. Sometimes if I'm real quiet and hang out by the nasturtiums he'll fly over, hover in midair demanding to know what I'm doing in his flower patch. I haven't seen him sample the orange yet. I hope he likes it.
.

5 comments:

  1. Cool idea. Unfortunately it would attract the crowd at my place. We have an over abundance of crows everywhere!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any hummies sited at the orange yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been outside much so haven't had an opportunity to watch it.

      Delete
    2. Still haven't seen any hummingbirds but the butterflies are loving it!

      Delete