Thursday, July 16, 2015

Here Today...Gone Tomorrow

The joy of gardening is the constant change. In my pre-gardening days, someone told me a garden never stops evolving. Just when you think you have it right, it's time to dig it all up again, find creative ways to present, and adopt new plant friends to add to your personal paradise. I remember thinking, That sounds like a lot of unnecessary work! It is, but I have discovered it's getting my hands in the dirt that motivates me. I suppose some gardeners would rather lounge around and look at the finished product, but I prefer the work.

I find my garden is like a big puzzle with various pieces to be moved around and played like a game: plants, rocks, bricks, cement pieces, pots, chairs, gravel. With Hashimoto's sometimes I don't have the energy or strength to do anything which is how Fern Gully came to be since I was too tired to fight the fern take over. Other times I feel a compulsive need to annihilate whole sections. I have found with this foot-leg pain, gardening helps. Sitting or standing still makes the pain worse. So gardening it is!

I'm in need of more space so I decided to remove Fern Gully. The fern jungle was good and fun, and now it's over. I know, I'm a little perplexed why I was in love with my ferns not too long ago and now I'm digging them up and throwing them in the compost pile which, by the way, is getting much too large. I think I might need to hire someone to take the compost pile away...

Scary...it's taller than me and spreading like the Blob!
Some of this inspiration is coming from my traveling squash vines. My BABIES! The pumpkins are using the pallet trellis and climbing. I even put a ladder behind the pallet and they are heading UP:




The Delicata are on the move, too, but heading down the walkway, and blocking it. They need room to expand to keep them off the walkway.


Hello Fern Gully that was:

View from squash...

Good-bye Fern Gully that isn't:


The squash are at the far end.
Another Fern Gully that was:



The Fern Gully that isn't...


Maybe I just have a desire to show off my newly re-stained fence. It sure would have been easier to stain had those ferns been moved first, but inspiration isn't always conveniently scheduled. It comes when it comes.

View from the opposite end
I have an urge for bright orange calendula so that's what I'll try to plant even though it's already the middle of summer. That should really brighten the place up. I did keep the deer fern because I like it so much (the photo at the very top).
 
 
HAPPY SUMMER!


1 comment: