Saturday, August 1, 2015

Building the Probiotic Arsenal

I made a trip to the big city today for a visit to a doctor I went to years ago. I really liked her back then except she loaded me up with pills and the side effects made me wish I would just die. I got frustrated, ran out of money, and stopped going to her. The eight hour round trip with traffic jams also discouraged future visits. However, I am so incredibly disgusted with the doctors who are closer to me I thought I'd suffer the drive and go back to this doctor. I told her I was the "prodigal patient". LOL I did NOT admit I am also the "reluctant patient".

She was wonderful. Knowledgeable, articulate, pleasant, conversational and had LOTS of ideas. We also had a long discussion regarding my intolerance to pills and she very respectfully acknowledged my issues. It's so nice to have someone who listens.

First step: probiotics. Nothing will work without good digestion and she suggested the fermented foods I have been reading about for quite sometime: kimchi and kombucha. These bizarre probiotics are difficult to get anywhere in my neck of the woods, but they are plentiful in the big city. So I headed to Whole Foods after the appointment and loaded up on kimchi and kombucha. I already have sauerkraut at home and I forgot to buy artichoke hearts which are supposed to help with digestion. Oh, yeah, and I bought dandelion greens and some other weird bitter to help with fat digestion but I don't remember the name. Neither of the greens taste good. They are bitter. Maybe that's why they are called "bitters." Duh.

 
The kombucha is really interesting. It's tangy, carbonated, and one of the bottles is ginger flavored. It's a little like drinking carbonated soda...only it's healthy! I can't quite get used to the idea something that tastes so decadent is actually really good for your digestion.

UPDATE: Can you believe I'm still eating/drinking things without researching them first? When will I learn? Kombucha is made with black or green tea. CAFFEINE! First, no wonder I thought it tasted so good and second, yes it was too decadent to be good for me. I can't go near caffeine. I didn't seem to have a reaction but I was only sipping a little each day. Supposedly it has less than regular tea, but with my sensitivities it would be best if I avoided it. Also, due to the fermentation, it's considered an alcohol...so strange to have an upper and a downer all in one drink? Maybe they cancel each other out? Yeah, I knew this was too good to be true! I have found if I drink more than a few sips over more than one day I become irrationally depressed. Caffeine is evil.

The first time I tried the kimchi I didn't think I'd like it. It was really hot with peppers so at first I thought maybe I'll just do it a little spoon at a time. But ten minutes later I was CRAVING more. That is always a good sign that my body wants it. I try to listen to my body.  I love it on top of food like hamburger or fish.


Here's to being on a new path for improved health!

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I'm finding probiotics helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! Do you eat/drink those I mention or take supplements for probiotics? I've never done well with pills so I feel thankful probiotics can be found in other forms.

      Delete
  2. For me, a lot of probiotics and fermented foods have too much yeast in them, or maybe the wrong kinds of yeasts. My body is not amused by them. I think it has geared up my immune system against yeasts. That includes kombucha and many of the pills. And fermented milk and coconut is out as well. I do really well with a lot of sauerkraut as long as I'm careful about the salt. Kimchee has nightshades in it (peppers? tomatoes?), so I can't eat it yet, but I'm hopeful.

    I made my own sauerkraut last summer, with a genuine kraut cabbage from Central (huge huge head that was mostly thick ribs inside and not much of the green leafy stuff. I grated it coarsely and placed it in a big bowl. then I smashed it for a long time - first grinding it down with the flat bottom of the jar, then when it was softer, smooshing it through my fingers. Then I mixed in a T salt per quart jar and loaded it into said (cleaned and boiled) quart jars. I closed the lids lightly and kept in on the counter for 5 days, each day burping it once or twice and tasting it for sourness. When it was done, I closed it up and kept it in the frig for about a month. It was good. And cost very little.

    Glad you found such a spicy healthy food to eat on what can be a pretty bland diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way will I drink Kefir. It sounds disgusting. Fermented coconut also. You make the sauerkraut recipe sound easy!

      I am CRAVING kombucha...I just don't trust the caffeine.

      Delete