Monday, August 24, 2015

Stinging Critters and Death Traps

I have yellow jackets living in my house. They aren't swarming around inside yet, but I can see where they are entering through a small hole under the outside molding. How big is the nest and where it's located, whether in the walls or floors or crawlspace, I have no idea. I would, however, like a house with less holes in it. I can see hundreds of yellow jackets going in and out all day long constantly. This is much like it was with the bumble bees last year. Problem is yellow jackets are vicious and I've been told they will fly all the way across the yard just to attack a person. Great.

Case in point, about two weeks ago I was out trimming back my daisies and buzzing critters were all over as usual. I didn't think anything of it. I plant bee-attracting flowers and I've never had a problem. Honey bees are very friendly and sweet. One buzzer started aggressively flying around me in a hostile fashion unlike a normal honeybee. I kind of backed away and he went away. I continued cutting the flowers. He didn't like that, landed on my arm, and bit me! Not a sting just a painful bite as a warning I guess. Totally premeditated. Very much like a yellow jacket and since I saw him close up, I can confirm it was a yellow jacket.  I got the message and left.

A few days later I was trimming the daisies in another part of my garden while keeping a close eye on my cutters which are quite sharp. I should have been watching where I placed my hand and I grabbed something with a stinger! I hadn't got stung since I was a kid. I don't remember it feeling like being electrocuted. With LOTS of pain. I used some baking soda and crushed plantain weeds and the pain and swelling subsided immediately leaving a red mark that itched for days. Then yesterday as I was out in the garden my neighbor's little three-year old granddaughter started howling high-pitched screams of terror, each one louder than the last. Yep, something stung her. I've noticed any time I wear my purple t-shirt, I get buzzed too close for comfort. I decided to take action.

I don't want to use smelly, toxic poison as I don't know if it will infiltrate into my inside air space so I got online and searched for ways to kill them. There are many instructions on how to build a homemade trap, but from what I understand this will just trap the workers and leave the queens to nest over the winter IN MY HOUSE! Hmmm...I may have to get some poison eventually, but I'll try this worker trap first.

I used a one-gallon plastic water jug. With an exacto knife or sharp instrument, cut an X into the sides of it, bending the sharp bits so they go inside. Make sure the holes are big enough to allow the yellow jackets in, but not too big so it's easy for them to get out. You want some to crawl out that way they'll go back to the nest and tell their friends about the yummy treats.

 
 
Next, make an attractant. In the spring yellow jackets are in need of protein so a piece of raw meat hanging from the top works well. Put a few inches of water in the bottom with a few drops of dish washing soap in the water. For some reason when they hit the water, the soap renders them incapable of getting out and they drown. Maybe the slippery stuff gets on their wings and legs?
 
Another recipe for death is something sweet like wine or apple juice. Since my apples are ripe and so abundant I can't even eat them fast enough, I decided to go this route.
 
 
Plus apples in the refrigerator...LOTS of apples this year!
 
 
I have lots of windfalls that the yellow jackets love. Place about 2-3 inches of apple juice in the bottom made from about ten apples. Skim the foam off it and add with a few drops of soap. Place the lid back on the jug.
 
 
I placed the jug on top of a ladder right next to the entry. I've been watching it all day. For some reason I thought they'd be all over it like they are with the windfall apples, but I do see two dark bodies so it's working. Slowly. I might need to replace the juice with wine. I think they'd like that better. I know I would.
 
I also made a trap with a small plastic water bottle. I think a big gallon soda pop bottle would work better, but I don't have access to one. For this type of trap, cut off the top 1/3rd of the bottle, invert it so the narrow spout is inside, place the sweet stuff in the bottom with a few drops of soap. It has not captured any yellow jackets, but I'll give it some time and see if one of my junk-food-eating neighbors has a gallon soda pop container.
 
I just hope these traps don't catch any honey bees.
 

 
REVIEW OF STINGING CRITTERS IN CASE YOU NEED A REFRESHER COURSE:

Yellow Jacket


 
Honey Bee
Bumble Bee

Wasp




Now what to do about the giant spiders coming in the house at night?

The Winter War is upon us...



6 comments:

  1. So yellow jackets aren't bees and don't make honey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they don't make honey. They are good in a garden as I've read they eat bad bugs, but they are such a pain I think in numbers they are bad bugs!

      Delete
    2. The only yellow jackets I know of is the Jazz fusion quartet! Haha!

      Delete
  2. I hate yellow jackets. They really do fly up to someone to sting them. This year we didn't have any. No wasps either. We usually have lots of both. The one thing we did have was a big bald-faced hornet's nest. They're very gentle and they eat wasps. I think that's why our plums are all perfect this year. Usually the wasps eat parts of every one. I hope your trap works. Good work on treating the sting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of bald-faced hornets...I'd like to get some!

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure how to attract them. We had to have one nest removed a week ago. It was right above the door to the shop and there were too many hanging around. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete