Monday, September 28, 2015

Hooray for Fair Day!

I went to the fair last week with my best friend from high school. We both grew up in the neighboring town, but since neither of us had attended this event for years, we thought it would be a fun, nostalgic outing and worth driving over two hours for the experience.

We saw warehouse buildings full of salespeople, farm animals, carnival rides, and JUNK FOOD. Where did all that junk food come from? In the "old days" there were onion burgers, scones, ice cream, French fries and cotton candy. These were foods we waited to eat once a year. We were living dangerously.

Times have changed. I saw every manner of junk food a person could imagine and some unimaginable, booths of various poisons lined up and down the walkways with long lines of eager consumers.

There was even a "History of Candy" tent for the sole purpose of advertising the wonders of candy. I toured it. Lots of videos on candy production. Displays and photos of history. The propaganda was scary, like a bad movie. It made the viewer want to run to the nearest junk food booth and gorge on some candy. No mention of how it will rot your teeth, make you obese, and contribute to any number of diseases as it rots you from the inside out. I stayed for about five minutes before I realized the tent smelled like chocolate. CHOCOLATE? It took me a minute, then I looked around. There wasn't any chocolate in the tent to be bought or eaten! AIR FRESHENERS! I panicked and ran for the nearest exit! It's amazing how subtle it was, but enough to scare the life out of me.

The absolutely worse food booth was the one called TOTALLY FRIED where they deep fry anything that might be edible, or in my case, not edible. There was a t-shirt one could buy to advertise these bad dietary habits: "If They Fry It, I Will Try It". I was tempted to buy it. Here is a photo my friend took although, unfortunately, she didn't get the whole booth:



Please notice the bottom of the menu list:

SPAM AND VELVEETA CORN DOGS
 
almost as bad as
 
DEEP FRIED PEANUT BUTTER AND JAM
 
or
 
Deep Fried Snickers
 
 
Really? Why would anyone want to eat that?  I am so sheltered in my healthy, secluded lifestyle that I forget there are people out there who eat like this on a daily basis. It amazes me there were lines for these food booths and people walking around gorging on large tubs of twice-fried junk food.
 
It was like a trip to Hell...
 
 
I purposely word my posts so I can find ways to use my devils as illustrations.
They bring me much joy.
 
 
And then there were the little piglets that reminded me everything was right in the world:
 
 
 
It was fun, interesting, educational, shocking, and mostly outdoors in somewhat fresh air. Even with the candy tent poisoning, some perfume exposure, and eating ice cream from the dairy barn (!), I survived with little if any health consequences.
 
Hooray for Fair Day!


5 comments:

  1. Hooray for county fairs!! Deep fried pickles. Some day........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine eating a deep fried pickle! I would vomit!

      Delete
  2. I love those little demons of yours! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But would you eat a deep friend corndog made from spam and velveeta cheese? Ever? I don't even think anyone could pay me enough to eat one.

      Delete
    2. I don't like those kind of food. So no. I won't eat them.

      Delete