Friday, April 29, 2016

Happy May Day!

I love May Day. My favorite holiday. It's all about flowers. I also love purple flowers. The lilacs, columbine, and chives are blooming. In a vase, they make my whole house smell heavenly.


This is my new allium garden:


The elephant garlic I transplanted from a smaller garden with less sun, to a bigger, sunnier spot. This allium variety grows to about six to seven feet tall with light lavender blooms the size of baseballs. Last fall I bought another type of allium called "Purple Sensation". It's beautiful and already blooming much sooner than the elephant garlic. This variety is only about two to three feet tall. Blinded by the stunning photograph on the package, I thought I'd get huge globes of blooms and, of course, I didn't register the height expectancy. Had I realized they'd be shorter I might have planted them on the outside of the bed instead of scattered within. Live and learn. They are smaller, but the darker purple is gorgeous:


If I had property, I'd plant a whole field of alliums, all kinds, all sizes. So beautiful.

Other purples I love:








Pallet garden updates:


Radishes are ready to eat! Already!


Tatsoi and mixed greens:


Mustard mix in vertical pallet:


And last but not least, a garden treasure discovery:


I found this plastic sword in my new flower garden. It amazes me with all the digging I have done over the years I am still able to excavate historical remnants of past civilizations (former residents). It is now my "Sword in the Wood". LOL

Happy May Day!

1 comment: