Friday, October 27, 2017

50 Handmaids in 50 States


I participated in the 50 Handmaids in 50 States demonstration. This event was to protest gender inequality, gender identity, defunding of Planned Parenthood, along with Black Lives Matter, indigenous rights, healthcare and well, anything you wanted to protest with a women's rights theme. There would be an hour of silence, speakers, and a protest march down to Planned Parenthood.

They suggested we sew our own capes and caps although I didn't find out about it until late. OR one could rent the capes and caps. OR just dress in all black which is what we did. We were the chorus. Background performers. Unfortunately, they ran out of "handmaids" and asked if any of us black-clad participants would like to don a red cape and white cap. SURE! They waived the rental fee. My friend kept saying, "Hooray! We have a walk-on part!" LOL! "I'm ready for my close up!" Unfortunately, due to our roles of just standing in silence, I couldn't take photos of the actual silent protest, but you can find them online.


I didn't realize the hour of silence was more than just silent protest - it was a photo op. There were professional photographers and filmmakers snapping photos and filming us walking in twos and standing on the steps of the capitol in silence. One of the photographers was from the New York Times. Oddly enough, I've never seen this television show so I was at a loss for what it was about or what one was supposed to do to be in character. I acted shameful and submissive. After about five minutes of standing still I found out later most of us were thinking, "Has it been an hour yet??" LOL.


After we listened to speakers, we marched through town to Plan Parenthood to overtake the Pro-Life demonstrators. It must have been frightening for them. There were two of them and about 80 of us. LOL! More photos were taken and then it was over. So fun.


Protest season has finally returned. So glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment