Monday, March 19, 2018

National School Walkout March 14th



A National School Walkout protesting lack of gun control and school safety was organized for March 14th. The reception was very interesting with some schools supporting it, some condemning it, and others trying to ignore it. I called the local high school in Rathole to get information. Some claimed they knew nothing about it. Some claimed the students knew nothing about it. It's always so surprising to me how isolated Ratholians think they are from the world.


I visualized the one, two, or three kids who would know about this event and who cared enough to take it upon themselves to walkout. I felt someone should meet them outside, support their desire to be involved, and to show them they are not alone.


I contacted the local "resistance group" in hopes of support. Members told me they thought people outside the school shouldn't get involved and if I wanted to support these students I should wear orange. AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A RESISTANCE GROUP? More like a senior citizens social. What a disappointment!


I felt like I failed the students of my area, but I didn't see the point in me, one person, standing outside a school like an idiot hoping one, two or three students would walk out. Then what? We all stand around looking at each other? I should have had more of a backbone, but instead of stressing myself out over the mindset of this horrible place where I've lived for the last thirteen years, knowing I can't fight the narrow-minded ignorance, I decided to accept and forget their backwards thinking. I headed to hippie land where I know people are politically savvy and passionate about ideas.


Even though I was pretty sure this town's high schools would walkout, finding information was nearly impossible. Finally I found a little online notice and emailed the contact name. I guessed this was a high school student who was attempting to organize, but when I asked her about the plan for off-campus adults, where do we go, can we bring signs, what is happening she said, "I'll have to check our student handbook on the rules." HAHAHAHAHA! I emailed back and assured her there were no guidelines on student protests or walkouts other than, "Don't you dare!" It was kind of sweet, if it wasn't so frustrating.


So on the morning of March 14th, with my friend and her two sons in tow, I headed to the nearby progressive town not knowing what to expect but hoping to support any students who might walkout of the their high school. I was reassured to see adults milling about. One approached us, asked if we were there to support the student walkout, and gave us the option of signing in at the front office for full access or standing on the sidewalk behind the property line of the school. We opted to stand behind the line.


There were about ten parent volunteers "guarding" the perimeter of the campus, one television/radio camera man, and a handful of adults from the community. As we watched the school clock hanging over the front entrance, adults gathered from every direction. Car horns honked and gave us thumbs up.


At 9:55am the bell rang and students flooded out the doors! My estimate was probably 400-500 students out of 1200 students. It was quite exciting!


We cheered and waved our signs. They had a sound system and students gave speeches, listed the latest school shooting victims, called out the senators who are taking copious amounts of money from the NRA for campaign support, and demanded change. Seventeen minutes later it was over. Most students went back into the school while a handful walked or drove to the local government building to continue the protest. Kudos to the high schools who instead of trying to control the protest, allowed a platform to address these concerns. Shame on the schools who threatened suspension to any student who attempted to walkout.


Later I read there were single students all over the country who walked out of their schools to be met by no one. That made me sad and I regretted I didn't make the hard choice to be there for the students of Rathole. Even for one student I should have been there cheering for their courage and passion to stand for something. Damn.



2 comments:

  1. I feel sad for your country these days. Such a chaotic time and so much unrest. I once looked up to your country as being the leader in the world. Not anymore. Not with Orange being in charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I used to think my country was a leader because I thought we had at least a little integrity, progressive ideas, forward thinking. Everything is going backwards. It's so embarrassing.

      Delete