Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Mosaics

I am off dabbling again in a new art form. Lately art doesn't feel interesting. In fact most of the time it feels very frustrating, stressful, and judgmental as it demands perfection. Last summer I went on an artist tour and met a mosaic artist...


MOSAICS! For a long time I've had a book on how to do mosaics, but I didn't know how to get started. The investment in supplies is very expensive so I felt the need for a test run and to see if any of the materials are toxic. This mosaic artist offers lessons in her studio, but it's not a classroom, more like a free studio time so you get one-on-one instruction. She doesn't wear scented products because she's a bit sensitive and doesn't like them. However, others who are using her studio, for instance, those also getting private instruction and visitors from off the street who walk in to see her gallery are a constant risk. The first time I went in there was only myself, the mosaic artist, and one other non-stinker working on her first project. Very nice!

For my first project I selected a 5 x 7 frame which is the smallest and lowest cost at $25. I drew a simple design on the glass, and started breaking glass and gluing! It's like doing a puzzle of patterns only you get to make the pieces! Wait for it to dry, add the grout, then paint the frame (optional) and add a hanger.

The glues aren't too bad. The main glue is like Elmer's, but the E6000 for heavy pieces or additions is really toxic, but optional if one doesn't use added or heavy pieces. The grout doesn't bother me. I painted the frame so that's a toxicity issue, but it is a small part of the project and optional, although I like painted frames. The glass and beads are totally non-toxic, although I did stab myself one day with a chard of glass.

My design is a sunflower with purple background and green tendrils. Above it is hanging in the window so it's a bit hard to see, but it's all about the light. I love the light play with these mosaics.

Here it is in indoor light on a surface:


I made it for my bathroom which is purple and yellow. That was my first mistake. I didn't realize the textured glass in that bathroom is tinted blue so the sunflower looks green when hanging in the bathroom. And then there are all the other design problems....ugh! That's OK. It was a learning experience.

So I've been collecting frames (free from yard sales, etc.), collecting colored glassware for breaking, and I dug my old window frames out of the spider-invested dark corners of the garage for some larger ideas when I get some more practice behind me. I'm psyched! It's going to be a huge investment in glass supplies and tools. I'm not sure where to do this. The garage is too cold in the winter and there is no way I'm going to have broken glass all over my house. Still planning. It might end up to be only summer entertainment.

I'm happy to be happy with art again!

So joyful!!!

1 comment: