Sunday, December 8, 2019

Super Size Me 2 - Holy Chicken!

I recently watched Super Size Me 2 - Holy Chicken!, the latest documentary by filmmaker Morgan Spurlock. If you haven't seen the first Super Size Me, you are missing out on one of the best movies about the king of junk food: McDonald's. This latest movie is about the ever-popular and grossly overestimated health claims of fast food chicken, highest seller of all fast food meals.

Spurlock goes through the steps of opening a fast-food chicken restaurant. Yeah, I know. Right there I was contemplatively suspicious. Would it be a restaurant promoting optimal healthy options? Or is there a catch? There has to be a catch. He exposes just what happens during the process, total transparency of the system, the sleaze of the "Big Chicken" industry, and the ramifications of all this control over American farmers. Spurlock isn't addressing what we already know as evils of factory farming, he's challenging the claims that chicken is the healthier option and the lies of the food industry as it sells and manipulates us.

It's brilliant, hilarious, educational, and disturbing. Excellent documentary. Since chicken is one of the few food options I still have left, I'm not ready to give it up...like everyone else in the movie! His restaurant had lines out and around the block and investors wanted to make it into a chain. No one is ready to give up chicken. However, I know which chicken brands create misery for me so I stick with the brands that don't and hope to God they aren't poisoning me too badly nor creating unacceptable guilt. I am now aware of how bought I am by labeling and packaging as my choices are determined by how well they can bullshit me into believing their lies. I ALWAYS opt for the free-range, organic -fed, no-hormones-added, cage-free, NATURAL chicken. The more build-up on the label, the happier I am. What a sap I am! This movie sure does remind one how little control we have over our food.

Here is the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment