Sunday, May 6, 2012

Ocean Adventures, Part Five: Lost and Peed, or The Adventures of the Baby Seal Patrol

I thought about that baby seal all week! I headed to the beach and spent hours walking, picking up shells, wading in the uncommonly warm ocean water, scanning the shoreline for lumps and studying the waves for bobbing seal heads. I'm not going to keep you in suspense, NO baby seals as far as the eyes can see and then some.


No baby seal mutilated carcasses or even body parts either. The baby was reunited with its mother and we have ourselves a happy ending! The weather was much better than last weekend. I have a feeling seal mamas prefer to beach their babies on dark, rainy days.  The tide was coming in, too. Maybe seal mamas prefer when the tide is way out that way the babies can't swim after them? And more people on this sun-filled day. Seal mamas don't like people. My one baby seal encounter has changed me forever. From now on I will be The Baby Seal Patrol. I'll need to get myself a coat, or t-shirt, or hat so people will know who I am.

On the way back I got lost! I could not for the life of me find the entrance to the trail where I parked. Then I had to pee. Badly. So like any dog running the beach without a leash, I found a secluded place in the dunes and did the duty.

I stop and ask directions and as I'm headed back to my vehicle, this horrid woman is walking toward me with two very large unleashed dogs. One of them tears off toward me and the woman is screaming its name over and over again. Obviously, she is too stupid to actually train her dog so she has no voice control over it. The dog reaches me, runs around and jumps on me repeatedly. When the woman gets closer I say, "You need to have your dog on a leash!" She replies, whining pathetically, "That dog isn't mine" pointing to the other dog that wasn't jumping on me. Not sure of her rationale I say, "But THAT dog IS yours!" pointing to the one who won't leave me alone. She's still yelling its name and chasing it around ME so I say, "Last weekend there was a baby seal sleeping on the beach right over there. Your dog needs to be on a leash! You are responsible for it." She looked appropriately embarrassed and drug her dog away. I'm pretty sure after twenty feet or so she let it loose again. Idiot!

I did find out between April 15th and Labor Day that whole section of beach is closed to cars which is why I never saw any cars on the beach. I know it's to protect the clams for clam digging, but I'm glad it helps the seal babies, too. I went to the next beach up the road where I see signs about vehicle closure, but I see cars on the beach? People are so stupid.

At the next beach one must pay a "day use fee" to park and stay. Really? I left instead, and then my ABS light came on! What's an ABS light? I didn't know. I look it up in the manual and it's the anti-lock brake system. The manual says if it comes on don't drive or you'll have an accident!!! I'm out in the middle of no where! What am I supposed to do?  I stop in this little town's teeny, tiny grocery store and the kid at the counter offers to call the local mechanic. Even though it's a Sunday he comes. He looks at the brakes and says it's fine. No worries. Doesn't charge me anything! I got back in the car and the light didn't come back on. Jeez.

Check out the signs ocean people display in front of their houses:




This guy is very passionate about whales.



He's not too keen on the local grocery store...



...Or the local meth house.

I think it would be fun to use your house as a personal billboard for all your outlandish opinions and have everyone think you are crazy. That's my goal.



Can you sense this guy's frustration? He was out mowing the lawn so when I asked permission to take a photo he told me about his house which is now vacant soon to be up for sale. Thieves have been dismantling the house taking everything including copper piping and pawning it. Police can't or won't do anything. The owner lives a few hours away so he's hoping the sign will inspire some crime watch in the area. He also plans to put up some more signs. Maybe I should have told him about the other sign guy who could share some advice or loan him a sign or two?

Wonderful adventurous day at the ocean!

What should my home billboards say about stink-saturated people?

4 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! I laughed so hard when I read the 'pee' part! Don't they have toilets around?

    Your billboards could be 'Attention Scented People, May Fleas of 2000 Camels Infest Every Part of Your Follicle-d Being!' haha!!!!!!!! I like that billboard that the owner made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes there are toilets at the parking areas, but I couldn't find the parking area! I was wandering up and down the beach for an hour trying to find it!

      Yes, I loved that guy's sign too. Frustrated but he still had a sense of humor.

      Delete
  2. LOL! So glad you checked for the seal. I was worrying too.

    Oh my gosh the dog things gets me too. I like dogs, but I'm allergic to them and I can't have them running up to me. It's not safe for anyone. Very disrespectful indeed. Sorry you had to go through that stress.

    Hilarious Signs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are fine, it's their stupid owners that are the problem! So few dog owners really take proper care of their animals and the problem is any idiot can own a dog and too many do!

      Delete