Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thai Chicken (Recipe)

I love Thai food so when I started this diet I wondered how I was going to tweak this recipe. It was actually easy. The Thai spices I was using were curry mixes so I just read the labels to know which fresh foods to buy and tried to copy. Pre-MCS, I used to go to Thai restaurants a lot so I had a fairly good idea what would make a homemade meal taste kinda-sorta similar. I think my Thai Chicken and Thai Chicken Curry is a little less exciting, but I know it's much healthier.




2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 tablespoons coconut oil
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup onion, sliced and halved
1/2 red pepper, sliced
3-4 cups green beans, with ends removed and cut in half
3-4 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 bunch basil, snip leaves off, cut into small pieces


1 can coconut milk
2 tablespoons chili pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you want it hot)
2 tablespoons curry powder (optional, not sure if gluten is added to curry powder as an anti-caking agent so I've always avoided it)




Sauté chicken pieces in oils on medium-low heat. Add garlic, onion and red pepper, continue cooking for a few minutes. While this cooks, in a separate pan add coconut milk and chili pepper flakes, heat but do not boil. Add beans and broccoli to chicken mixture, continue cooking for a few more minutes.



When coconut milk is heated strain out chili pepper flakes (or leave them in if you want the dish very hot). Return to pan, add curry and cayenne and mix completely. Add to pan with chicken mixture continuing to simmer.



Add basil and cook another ten minutes. Mmmm...love the smell of basil.



Optional variation: Prawns or shrimp are on the Paleo diet, but not on the Paleo/Hashimoto's diet. If you are so inclined, as I am from time to time, substitute 6-8 prawns  instead of chicken. I really love the coconut milk flavor with prawns.

 
Both dishes may be eaten as is or added to rice. (Rice isn't on either diet!)

Serve. Yum.


4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!! My worst recent reaction was to curry, so if I add all those foods I'll try it without curry and I'm sure it will be delicious. Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, curry is a problem for a lot of people. Is it the turmeric? or something else? I know someone who can't eat curry because her blood is so thin she'll get nose bleeds from it. Having just recently found out I might have exceptionally thick blood that runs in my family, I NEED curry!

      Delete
    2. OMG! I am drooling over the iPad!!! Hahaha!!!

      Delete
  2. I wonder, as I mentioned in the post, what is really in curry powders and mixes? I know the mixes have all kinds of garbage, but the powder? Actually, I don't trust anything that is processed/manufacturered. If it's not a plant, do we really know what is in it? Even if it's a plant, are we certain we know how it's been grown? Or genetically modified. Too much we don't know which is why these things produce all kinds of side effects for some.

    ReplyDelete