Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Fish Soup (Recipe)

I tweaked another former favorite recipe. Another way to eat fish. This one was originally called Fish and Pasta Chowder, but it tastes just as good without pasta.


 
 
6 ounces of white fish (I used cod fillets that were frozen.)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, sliced or diced
1 large carrot, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/4 cup parsley, minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
4 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
5 cups of water

In a large pot over medium heat, sautee the onion, carrot, red pepper, parsley,  black pepper, and dried tarragon in olive oil until onion is slightly limp, maybe five minutes. Add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and simmer for five minutes. Add fish and cook until fish is opaque, about ten minutes.

The tomatoes are a cheat. The recipe calls for tomato juice. Any kind of tomato is not on the Paleo/Hashimoto's diet. Clam juice is also part of the recipe, and not on the diet. I also wonder if clam juice might have some gluten in it. I don't know that for sure. I could do without the clam juice, but I wasn't sure if leaving out the tomatoes would make it taste too bland and I have a small container of grape tomatoes in my freezer from my garden. As it was, the tomatoes gave it a nice sauce. It was perfect. Next time I'll try it without tomatoes.

This made about 3-4 bowls.

Yum.

Update: It's not as good without tomatoes...I guess this a Paleo recipe, rather than a Paleo/Hashimoto's!

1 comment: