Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Real Dream Houses: Part Two, Cargotecture!

Shipping containers! I love this idea! It seems there is a surplus of old shipping containers lying about with nothing to do but clutter the landscape. Architects have put them to good use for housing. Because they are stackable, they can also be used for tall buildings like apartments and offices.



I read somewhere one used shipping container will cost about $2,500. Of course, as this idea spreads the cost will probably go up so don't quote me on this figure. I don't know if that would include the cost of delivery as I'm pretty sure one would need a special truck and rigging.

About a year ago I came across a video on a tiny house website showing how a woman got one for free and converted it into a house herself, cutting holes in the metal and adding windows and plumbing. She lived there with her young daughter and love that one whole wall would slide open and provide a great view of nature.

A company located in Seattle called HyBrid Architecture (www.cargotecture.com) is designing them ready-made. The cost is anywhere from $40,000 to $110,000 and up depending on size, style and details.

Here are some examples:


One, single shipping container house. The porch adds space, I think. I would prefer less yellow and more...pink.


Clean, simple, lots of light and air. 

This one is from Dwell www.dwell.com
 

This one is my favorite. I like the garden on the roof and all the windows.


 
Too shipping-container-ish for you? What about this:


Whoa!!


Whoo Hoo!

From Low Impact Living  www.lowimpactliving.com
 
 

I think this is the wave of the future. Not only that, but shipping containers are made of metal which is the material of choice for those who are chemically sensitive. Other non-toxic materials would then be added for insulation, walls, flooring and plumbing. I like the simplicity of design. It looks very airy and clean.

From Ecoble (www.ecoble.com)


My first concern would be to wonder what the shipping container shipped in its previous life. Did it transport toxic chemicals?

My second concern would be to check building codes in your county. I would think if you go through a company like HyBrid Architecture they could let you know, but if you buy one yourself and want to remodel into a living space, who knows what kinds of rules you might have to fight. In my area some of the tiny houses are not up to code as they need to be bigger than 10 x 10.

UPDATE/WARNING:  I checked into the toxic factor of these shipping container houses and it seems they need to be made with some very sturdy materials for them to withstand shipping, namely chromate, phosphorus paint and lead-based paint. The article below mentions insecticides sprayed in the floors and I'm sure that is for shipping containers shipping anything perishable, much like cardboard boxes are also sprayed with insecticides. Another article I read said before shipping containers are used as living spaces, their surfaces are sand blasted to remove all the old, [lead] paint. This would create a whole lot of hazardous waste.  So obviously, before you invest in a shipping container, first, make sure a professional architectural company is providing it and check to see what kind of pre-construction treatment or cleaning they do on it. Thanks to Evelyn for the tip!

Still, I do love the idea of taking something that will sit around cluttering up a garbage dump and making it useful, I'm just not sure I want to live in something that might give me grief. And as a MCSer, there is a good chance it would give me grief!!

Here's another article with more creative ways people have used shipping containers for buildings:


http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/the-shipping-container-scene-in-2010.html



5 comments:

  1. This is sooo great! Thanks for posting! You might be finding me a home with all these great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading about these containers containing large amounts of lead!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEAD!!! OMG! Good to know. I can't imagine these companies would use them if they have high amounts of lead, or any lead. They'd get sued. I'll check into that.

      Delete
    2. You are right! See the new warning I added. I might check with HyBrid to see what they do to eliminate the lead paint and other treatments they might use. Here in the USA I know they can't make anything that is toxic. When one buys a house there are all kinds of disclosure documents the sellers must sign and lots of warnings about lead.

      Delete