Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Winter Project Woes: Update


THESE BEADS ARE NEVER-ENDING!
 




I have made thousands of beads. It's going much slower than anticipated. After two months and hundreds of beads I thought I'd take a break and start stringing them. All that time and after making all those beads, it came to...six strands. Since I need about fifty strands to complete one room partition, this was very discouraging.

 
Still, I trudged onward. Bead after bead after bead.

 


Then I started running out of construction paper! It's hard to imagine I used a whole box of old construction paper to make beads. When I first looked at my supply I didn't think I would need all of it nor get through it all.

It's very difficult to find packages of single colors to match my selected color scheme. I searched art stores, novelty shops, online supply warehouses and even requested colors on Freecycle in hopes someone such as myself had a box of colored paper not being used. "Hey, I'll trade my putrid brown, dirty-looking tan, and gaudy gold for your blue!?" No takers.
PURPLE BEADS!


I did find one office supply store that sold a package of blue and white sheets together. For some reason the company's marketing department thought blue and white should go together in the same package. But what about the other colors? Even if I purchased a pack of 100 sheets of multiple colors I might only get one or two sheets of the color I need. If I could even find separate packages of colors, it was going to get very expensive.


FUSCHIA BEADS!

 
So I got creative. I just bought a whole lot of white construction paper knowing I wouldn't need all of it for the beads. I figured I could always use it for some kind of art. Why not paint it the colors I need? Of course, that defeats the purpose of a toxic-free winter project, but it's either stick to my principles or finish the project. I'd rather finish the project. The great thing about painted construction paper is the color doesn't come off on your hands like it does with the dyed construction paper.

 
TURQUOISE BEADS!
 

In attempt to match the colors to the beads already made, I now have a healthy supply of fuchsia, light blue, light green, purple and pink, with turquoise beads just for fun in case I decide to change my wall colors later. (I think I'd really like turquoise walls!)

Now I'm running out of black and red. Damn. And I might end up running out of those bamboo beads, too, and I have no idea where to get a supply of those. A case of poor planning, I think, but onward I trudge, bead after bead after bead...  I've gone through five bottles of Elmer's Glue!


Bamboo Beads That Are Quickly Running Out

I WILL get this done!

11 comments:

  1. Seriously, I can't wait to see the finish work!! It'll look so awesome! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful so far! Lovely colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like this project just so I can have a big bowl of pretty colors and patterns. I may end up with only a large collection of beads rather than a partition!

      Delete
  3. Amazon has bamboo beads. shopwildthings also. Also firemountaingems. None of them look the same lovely whitish color of your existing beads. I love the bowl of beads. Good colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I fear I have grown tired of the winter project so I'm downsizing the idea. Not only have I run out of bamboo beads, but also fishing line and my sixth bottle of Elmer's Glue is almost gone. This has been a lesson - winter projects can only be so big so they only last through January. February is the start of gardening season...the winter project needs to be over. (And I need to clean up the house so I can sell it and with all my surfaces being used for bead production, doesn't look so good in here!!!

      I think I'll look on those websites to see what they have. Great information!! You always know where to find things!!

      Delete
    2. Good gawd! Why am I doing all this work when shopwildthings.com has bead curtains for $20???????

      Delete
    3. Ahahahahahaha!!! To curb your boredom, remember???? ;P

      Delete
    4. But theirs don''t have the beautiful colors yours have. They're just bead curtains. Yours are a different animal altogether.

      Delete
    5. Yep, you are right Evelyn! I have to remind myself these winter projects are to keep me busy and sane. They aren't to make something I need or want, just to keep me from getting bored! And it worked! Winter flew by! Now I'm ready for gardening.

      Delete