Monday, September 23, 2013

Sunflowers!

I love sunflowers. I'm sure I've expressed that enough. Although this year's batch didn't produce the giant mammoth sunflowers like last year, they are still beautiful. These in the front yard are about ten feet tall. Most of them are the Lemon Queen variety so their heads are smaller and they are more brown and orange in color.  Bees really like Lemon Queens and people who study and count bees use this variety to attract them. Peter loves to eat them. Well, the flowers, not the bees!





The last photo is the view from my bedroom and the one above it from my living room window. I love how they sway in the breeze when they are so tall. It's like they are nodding their heads in approval at me.

One of my most delicious sensual memories of all time was riding my bike in France on a little country road through a dark forest. It opened up to a blinding brightness of sun and fields of sunflowers as far as the eye could see with their heads all facing me. To this day I wish I would have taken a photo, but I was so shocked and mesmerized I forgot! Now it's like remembering a fairy tale. Did I really experience that or dream it?

I love sunflowers. Such happy flowers.

1 comment: