Saturday, September 14, 2013

What Makes You Happy?

 
I just watched a very thought-provoking documentary called Happy about what makes people happy, what doesn't make people happy, who isn't happy, where they are happy, and other happiness factors. See trailer:
 


It was very interesting although most of the points were fairly common sense. Naturally, I kept comparing myself and my life to their data. Yep, so glad money doesn't make a person happy or I'd be really unhappy.

The point they made about money is there is a huge difference between the happiness level of someone who makes $5,000 a year and someone who makes $50,000 a year, but once your basic needs are met, there isn't much difference between $50,000 and $50,000,000. In terms of happiness, that is. I would really be happy with $50,000, but I disagree, I'd be twice as happy with $50,000,000!

Then the film got to the part about human connection and how our social lives affect happiness. This got me thinking about those of us who are forced to isolate ourselves to avoid being poisoned as I know I am definitely lacking in human contact. Oh, how I would love a community of like-minded people, a tribe to call my own. I agree it would make me happier to have more human connection and I suppose this is the reason I'm trying to find a MCS community. WHERE are my people? But I am still asking myself, would other MCSers make me happy or just irritable? Will they positively contribute to my level of happiness or annoy the hell out of me?

In the meantime, I've been brainstorming things that make me happy:

1.) money (I don't care what they say, the more the better. Less stress in life makes me very happy. Being able to do what I want to do without worrying about my finances would make me very happy. Enough security to not have to worry about being homeless would make me happy. It doesn't necessarily mean I'll spend a lot of money non-stop, I just want to know it's there if I need it.)
2.)  creative projects/painting
3.)  gardening and nature
4.)  helping people and hearing about others helping people
5.)  good people who get me and like me anyway
6.)  watching flash mob videos
7.)  good TV, movies and books
8.)  good music
9.)  having garage sales
10.) good health

What makes you happy?

5 comments:

  1. Perfect health & spontaneity in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that doesn't make you happy it only makes you LONG for what you can't have. I thought about listing all the things I wish I could have to be happy that are totally out of my reach, but I decided that would only make me feel lousy. What do you do that makes you happy now?

      Delete
  2. There's a book called The Geography of Happiness - surveys of people in different areas. The happiest people lived in small towns (10K-20K, I think) that were isolated from other big towns, at least seasonally. Iceland people were the happiest. The conclusion was that social interaction made the difference.

    Other psychologists have claimed that people have a happiness set point. And after getting what they want to be happy, after awhile people are just as happy as they were before. So I'm working on just being happy. I'm trying to find feel-good music that makes want to dance crazy and sing along loudly. Yup. That's now my idea of happy.

    And a morose part of me is thinking that these are the good times right now. I'll look back on this time now and think how wonderful it was. When I was so young :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the movie they feature Okinawa, Japan as very happy also because of social interaction. The people there live to be in their 100s and all hang out together. And they have a strong sense of community.

      I think 10K-20K towns would be nice because you still have services. Too small of towns there is nothing so everyone is in everyone else's face and with nothing to do the greatest entertainment is gossip. AND with no culture the people are...well, lacking in quality. I speak from personal experience. hahaha

      Yes, today we are as young as we are ever going to be....it's cause for joy...today.

      Delete