Saturday, October 12, 2013

"PAINT ME TURQUOISE!"

I couldn't wait to strip and paint my new bed and decided it's not a good winter project since it would have to be done out in the garage during cold, wet weather. I decided to take advantage of the few remaining days of sunny autumn days to get it done although I'm pretty much past my toxic load limit.

I was tormented over the color choice. White would be neutral and safe, match all the other bed frames, match any room color, match any linens, and I could use low VOC paint.

1930s Maple Twin with Egg Posts

Pointy Post Bed, Full-Size
(I have no idea what year. It was free.)

The problem with white is I'd have to buy another gallon of expensive, toxic paint and I'm trying to get rid of my paint supply so I'm not tempted to do more painting projects. White also accentuates every surface problem. Shiny white really makes them glare. This bed is really dinged up and no matter how I try to fill in cracks or sand surface problems, I'm not good at making things look perfect.

 
Turquoise would match one color in the rug of my blue room and I had a whole bunch of left over turquoise from the pantry project. I wasn't thrilled about buying another gallon of paint just to paint this bed frame, but that turquoise isn't low VOC which means the bed may have to stay out in the garage for the next six months to offgas. Turquoise also wouldn't match the other beds, but should it? Maybe I should be daring?

 
Turquoise won. When the time came the bed screamed, "PAINT ME TURQUOISE!" I couldn't control myself. I planned to paint a tiny obscure sample to see what it looked like and I just kept painting. It was my alter ego Yatna practicing being BRAVE. I did, however, make it a shade lighter than the pantry thinking it would match the rug. 

Much to my dismay, I didn't like the turquoise. Damn. It didn't match the rug like I thought it would as the rug's turquoise is a greenish-tinted turquoise. Jeez. I didn't even like it with the blue. My multiple personalities aren't getting along. So I did what any chemically sensitive person who is at her toxic limit would do...I took another few days and repainted it toxic white. I used the left over floor paint which is strong, but smelly. This is called sado-masochism. Or stupidity. Or frugality. Or maybe just a serious case of paint addiction.

Late 1800s Three-Quarter Spool Bed

But it looks better and matches the trim, floor and all the other beds. Once I find some slats and add the mattress, the blue bedspread will help it match the rug. I think it looks bigger white.

The rainy season has started so I hesitate to leave it out in the garage where it is too damp. I brought it into the house where it is smelling up the guest bedroom. Windows open, doors closed. I'll give it about nine months to offgas and in the meantime look for free slats to hold up the mattress.

I love my mini-bed collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment