Saturday, January 31, 2015

Liver with Onions, Bacon and Apple (recipe)

My special order of cow bones didn't come in. Maybe next week? I have doubts.

I bought another slab of liver. I know...it was such a waste to throw the last slab in the garbage. I'm pretty sure those chicken livers were the reason for my last migraine and that leads me to believe they were anything but "natural". So back to regular, very gross, but incredibly clean cow liver.

I cooked it the same way as last time and it tasted just as bad. With every bite I would tell myself, That's enough. Throw the rest away. But I kept eating. It was just a tiny amount, but with much willpower I got it all down. Just looking at it raw in the bowl floating in blood is enough to make me puke.

Then I found a recipe online for gluten-free liver. Most recipes instruct to coat the liver in flour before frying and that's how I remember it from my childhood. This might make it taste better or milder by sealing in the juices, but being gluten-free does not make this an option.

 
I found this recipe on The Gluten-Free Homemaker Hopeful, but still wary, I adjusted it to make a very small portion so although you can follow her recipe for exact measurements, this is what I did:

Soak a small amount of liver in coconut milk. It seems our grandmothers soaked liver in milk and which tenderizes it and decreases the nasty taste. The blogger is also staying away from dairy so she suggested coconut milk.

Cut liver into small, thin slices.

Fry one strip of bacon. Remove from pan and break into smaller pieces. Remove some of the leftover grease, but save it for the liver.

Fry a few slices of yellow onion. Remove from pan.

Fry a few slices of apple. Remove from pan.

On medium high heat, add bacon grease and quickly fry liver with salt and pepper. (This is "old-style" cooking - everything is fry. LOL.)

Return bacon, onions, and apples to the pan when liver is almost done. Mix. Serve.

Did it make the liver taste better? NO. But the bacon and apples were good and by alternating bites balanced out the nasty with a sweet-tangy flavor which made that liver easier to swallow.

I'm trying. This is my third day forcing liver down my throat. I am determined to do this diet right and everything I've read said without the organ meats and the bone broth (which most people aren't excited about), it won't work. One needs those extra nutrients. Instructions are fairly clear: organs and other parts need to be organic, steroid-free, grass-fed which are difficult to find since so many health-minded people are doing this diet. The only way to get organic chicken livers is to special order them with a minimum amount of 12 lbs. I've ordered the cow bones. We'll see if they ever arrive.

I have been tempted to quit the diet, but I've already gone through four weeks of sacrifice. I don't see the point of giving up after so much work.

3 comments:

  1. At least you have bacon!!! Can't wait for your diet to be over. Any difference? When does it end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can have bacon, but I'm not supposed to. It's toxic, but it doesn't give me grief. I don't think it does. I haven't felt a difference, maybe I feel worse. I've been more tired, more headaches and that's why I want to get all the organs and bones and do it right because I don't know if I feel lousy because I'm not doing it right or maybe because I'm eating too much bacon? Bacon has become my "fast food" although I try not to eat too much. Its my replacement for eggs. I miss eggs. That will be my first food test. Two more weeks.

      Delete