Saturday, August 25, 2012

Wanted: Machete

I sold my machete in the garage sale I had a couple years ago. I often wish I hadn't. Now that the pests are under control and my pet snake is eating the slugs, my garden is going crazy which makes me wonder why I ever thought I had enough room for a garden let alone a garden grown with rabbit manure! BUT I'm NOT complaining. I'm in awe!

The pumpkin vines are up to ten feet long, crawling across the herbs under, over and through the fencing.

 
 
This vine above has meandered all over the place and now has sprouted from the fencing to hang across the path to greet the tomato branches reaching toward it. Very friendly plants!
 
 
 
These vines are heading across the path and starting to crawl up the camellia bush on the right! It makes it a little difficult to get to the front yard.

 
My first baby pumpkin. It's already the size of a soccer ball.
 
The zucchini-that-were-supposed-to-be-cucumbers are getting really big.

 
I'm not sure if I planted the wrong seeds (probably) or if there were wrong seeds in the package (doubtfully, although this I prefer to believe!). This is the first one I've picked:

 
Sunflowers are actually big enough so the slugs don't gnaw them to stumps and the four foot tall lettuce plants next to them are bolting and seeding. I want to save the seeds for next year so this is fine.

 
Sunflowers in the front are not so tall and are being crowded by the pumpkins and the humongous borage plants. Borage is bee drugs. You can't see them in this picture, but there are no less than ten bees buzzing around the blue borage flowers. I love the sound of the gentle buzz-hum when touring the garden. It's very relaxing, like everything is right with the world.
 
 
 
The tomatoes are loaded with fruit, but still green. Their branches are spanning the walkways and creating a jungle. Where's my machete?
 
 
 
 
I sold my weedwacker in last week's garage sale so I'm ripping out what is left of the grass paths. Not much left to do! Hooray! Of course, my new dirt paths are very tempting to the neighborhood cats so I need to get some beauty bark mulch on it fast!

 
I'm using the grass clumps to make Peter a "Dr. Seuss" landscape with hills and valleys in the cool of shade so he can lay between the grassy mounds and nibble grass in ultimate rabbit relaxation.

 
I am putting it in an area that gets shade all day long and nothing else grows there. 


I was going to cover this area with beauty bark, but I think Peter likes the grass clumps better than beauty bark.


Bunnicula the Devil Bunny
(It's so dark in that corner of the yard my flash went off making Peter's eyes glow.)

 
And finally, after digging nearly my whole front yard up, I finally found a garden treasure to add to my collection:



Hooray!

5 comments: