Saturday, August 4, 2012

Bad, Bad, Bad, and Very Bad...

I volunteered at the co-op today. They had an Ice Cream Social...free ice cream/frozen yogurt/gelato/goat milk ice cream/dairy-free ice cream/sorbet samples of every flavor the store carries. What was I thinking? Well, I was thinking I was being helpful.


Before it even started all the volunteers were eating the ice cream and laughing it was a job requirement to taste all of the various flavors so they would be informed. People kept handing me samples and saying, "Try this one. It's wonderful!" I kept asking to see the containers to check the labels. I read the labels very carefully although I was lax on the sugar (BAD) and the dairy (BAD) knowing there aren't many ice creamy-type desserts that don't have these ingredients. There were a few selections that were dairy and sugar-free, but most of those had chocolate.

I was in charge of giving samples of non-fat frozen yogurt: peach mango, honey, berry, and blueberry. Sounds pretty safe so I stuck to sampling those. I studied the labels and sampled the berry. Oh, so delicious!  The woman next to me had the full-fledged ice cream with a variety of chocolate flavors: Double Chocolate, Banana-Chocolate Swirl, and Chocolate Chip Mint. Oh, they looked tempting and evil! Then the manager brought her another called Sea Salt Caramel. After studying the label, I deemed it safe and had a taste. Oh, my, heavenly. I scooped up another little spoonful and in the scoop there was a dark bit. I asked her, "What is that? A nut?" She read the label. Cocoa. COCOA? (BAD) Am I blind? How did I miss that? I must have been looking for the word "chocolate" and glossed right over "cocoa". I threw that spoonful away as if it were poison.

Then a few minutes later a customer came over and started reading the labels on my frozen yogurt containers. Out loud she said, "Natural flavors....hmmm...nope." She explained she can't have anything with "natural flavors" because that often means "corn" and she's allergic to corn. NATURAL FLAVORS!!! How did I miss that? That's often what they call gluten, too. GLUTEN??? (BAD) Oh, my god. I might have eaten gluten today. I was in shock.

I can only blame the heat. It was in the 90s today. This sort of heat is unusual in my neck of the woods even during the summer. There were a few times I thought I'd keel over from heat exhaust. I heard from others eating ice cream is a very effective way to cool down. I know that's not true but we as humans can rationalize anything. I guess I didn't eat enough sugar, dairy, chocolate and gluten to stay cool. Brain dead, for sure.

Still, I think I had a total of three tablespoons of frozen yogurt and ice cream combined so I don't expect a problem, but I'm kinda disappointed in myself. Other than my banana cream recipe, I hadn't had anything resembling ice cream for a long time. And it was GOOD!

I knew better. No willpower. I should have stayed away.

6 comments:

  1. Yumm hope you're feeling ok. If you can get away with it a treat is ok! Yes "natural flavours" or "spices" or "natural colours" are all license for them to put anything they want in it. I'm still glad you got to taste it! In Canada they still don't even have to list if foods contain allergens like nuts in the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm fine, but I had weird, weird dreams all night.

      Canada seems so forward thinking with everything - I'm surprised. I think labels in general are bogus as I'm doubtful anyone really monitors them.

      Delete
  2. HEY, it's NOT funny! OK, maybe it is. Is it because I kept blaming my weakness on everything but myself or my weakness in general? That was the first chocolate I've had in over a year and if there was gluten in that "natural flavor", but first gluten of any kind since October. I've been fairly proud of my willpower and I failed miserably at brains yesterday. You can't imagine I badly I wanted to eat one or three ice cream sandwiches covered in chocolate. It was torture watching others....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, if there are a lot of mistakes in that comment...I'm still brain dead today, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha!!! It's ok. Give yourself a break. Your brains will awake from the stupor in a short while. The evil-ness in chocolate can last for so long only. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, but chocolate is a cross-reactor to gluten and gluten, well, is just gluten. The effect can last for up to six months. Since this diet I haven't had any exhaustion episodes - were my muscles collapse and I can't move. Supposedly gluten (and chocolate)triggering an autoimmune response attacking my thyroid causes this and I don't want them coming back!

    ReplyDelete