Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Ocean Adventures, Part Seven: A Horse is a Horse, Of Course

This is the coolest sculpture I've ever seen! That includes Michelangelo's David and although I cried when I saw the Pieta, this horse still rates higher.


The whole thing is made of driftwood from the beach nearby. The artist of Knock on Wood must have selected each piece according to its individual shape. Just think of the time and patience this took.


The work was displayed on the artist's front lawn area. It's life-sized, maybe even a little bigger than a real horse. 


I got out of my car and walked around it several times.


I was hoping the artist would come out of his home and talk to me, but no one appeared. I would have liked to have seen other works.


Truly amazing.


I found this horse sculpture on my seventh ocean adventure taken on the last day of the month. Summer is a busy time for me so it's been hard to get away to relax and stroll, but I did it!  And, I found a new beach that was close by.


First, I stopped in at the cannery and bought some crab.


Yum.



I found this little beach. See the deep foot prints? The sand was really strange. Higher on the beach was dry sand, but closer to the water it was more like squishy mud. Deep and bouncy, like walking on marshmallows.


The water was deep, too. Rather than wade in gradually, it was a drop off. At one point I was tempted to jump in and swim around, but it wasn't all that warm and I figured the drive home would be really uncomfortable.


Nice weather, too, which has been lacking and now appreciated.


The salty air smelled so good.

Hooray!

1 comment: