Friday, June 28, 2013

Online Shopping: Sleepwear

I don't shop online much. Often what comes in the mail is not the right size, not the right color, too smelly, or the shipping is too expensive. Then if it's wrong, I have to go through the trouble of mailing it back. I like being able to see what I'm buying before I buy it, therefore, avoiding the hassle. But as someone who is chemically sensitive, shopping at a store is down right masochistic if not deadly.

I've looked online many times for organic, cotton sleepwear, but usually what I find is too expensive and I worry if it'll fit. I found a link for the American Environmental Health Foundation (www.aehf.com) which is the corporate entity of Dr. William Rea who runs the clinic in Dallas, Texas, and is well-known for his innovation in treating MCS. Most naturopaths have developed their own vitamin brands, written their own health books, and sell other items which makes them extra money. This guy has a whole website devoted to his favorite merchandise from beds to clothing to pills. I found this site while reading an article on bedding which provided a link.* Since I've been looking for sleepwear for a long time, I thought I'd check it out. "Cotton nightshirt, $16.50, one size fits all."




Here is a picture of a happy, lovely model wearing the nightshirt, and of course, I'm sure she can make anything look good.


I figured with all the very sick people Dr. Rea treats, it's got to be safe and for $16.50 plus $8.00 shipping, the price was good. The customer service person claimed it definitely wasn't scented and confirmed it was organic. It arrived two days later fairly non-descript and very ugly. When I put it on I feel like a patient in a mental hospital. It's made by S.O.S. From Texas or Oldham Farms and their tags tell the history of their ancestors and their philosophy of organic farming. I checked their website and they are also selling the same nightshirt for $2.00 more...?

It smelled like a horse blanket, so yes, it must be natural. It itched like burlap. I washed it twice which is so much better than washing it ten times as one must do with regular, chemically-treated and scented clothing purchases. The first washing I used Planet All-Purpose Miracle Dishwashing Soap and the second time baking soda as I read baking soda is a really good, natural fabric softener. I did rinse well or the baking soda would make me itch so I don't know if it did any good. Then I hung it outside to dry. If I had a dryer that might have helped soften the fabric, but I don't, so I didn't.



It's still smells like a horse blanket and it's still ugly, although it may have shrunk a bit. I plan to try wearing it tonight. If it doesn't work as a nightshirt I can always wear it as a very ugly dress. An very un-Hawaiian mini muumuu. It screams "PAINT ME!" but that would defeat the purpose.

There is definitely a reason people enjoy the chemically-bleached, chemically-softened, chemically-scented, and chemically-dyed piece of clothing.

Oh well.

UPDATE: I love it! It's comfortable and doesn't smell. Perfect.



*I've been in the market for a new mattress for the last, oh, ten years, but organic mattresses are very expensive. This article said an alternative is to buy (seven) mattress pads stacked on top of each other because they can be washed in a washing machine. Mattresses can't be washed so they harbor dust, mold and dust mites as well as come chemically-treated with formaldehyde and fire retardants. To purchase organic bedding one is required to get a doctor's note. (So ridiculous.) The price is about $85 for each mattress pad so $700 with tax for a mattress. Since the organic mattresses can run up to $1500, that is a good alternative. Someday....

1 comment: