Sunday, June 30, 2013

Things I Learned This Week...

The Beatles refused to perform at segregated concerts in the early years when they first came to the USA. Yeah, Fab Four!

Mummies smoked. Someone did hair analysis tests on the remains of ancient Chilean people and found they used nicotine. Blah. Stupid people exist in every culture.

Andrew Goodman, one of the student volunteers who went to Mississippi in 1964 with the Freedom Summer program, was murdered by the Ku Klux Klan. When they found their bodies, his fist was clutching the dirt. They think he was buried alive. This disturbs me greatly. The whole story disturbs me greatly, but I've known of it for a long time, just not this detail. Too many evil people in the world.

And on a more positive note: Hilda! I am delighted to discover Hilda, the plus-sized pin-up girl from the 1950s. She so adorable. Since I have been overweight and a red-head all my life, she would have been a huge inspiration in my youth. Now she makes me smile and want to wear a bikini in public. Well, maybe not...



 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment