Thursday, July 10, 2014

Done...Done...and...Done

I am the summer project maniac! I love getting things done and it's so much easier when people respond to your desperate pleas for help.

I visited the heating company yesterday and asked if they could come out dismantle and drain my furnace and heat pump. OK, I begged really nicely. When I told my construction adviser I was going to remove it myself he cautioned about the Freon or refrigerator coolant. I was worried about the electrical stuff as it is way more complex than anything I've ever encountered. Pipes and tubes and attachments. I had no idea what I was looking at nor what to do with it.

The young woman at the heating company began taking my name and information. I whispered to her, "Do you think they'll show up this time?" I continued to explain this was my fifth visit to their office not including the desperate call I made last December when my house froze along with my water pipes. She GUARANTEED she would personally email me and try to get someone to my house next week. When I left I was hopeful, but not confident.

This morning after I took a drive to get groceries I came home to an email message, "Our technician went to your house this morning, but said no one was home."

OH! NO!!! NO! NO! I went to the store because I didn't think they would come until next week! Oh, god, come back!!

He did come back and proceeded to pump the Freon out of my heat pump. He also explained people who remove refrigerator coolant and inadvertently or purposefully dump it on the ground or in the environment or don't do it properly and use safety precautions are fined $10,000. Refrigerator coolant (Freon) is one of those things clearly recognized as seriously toxic to the environment as it depletes the ozone layer. Besides the fact it'll poison you. He also told me the coolant if not handled properly is 40 degrees below freezing so if I had messed up and got it on my skin, it might have burned parts of my body off. Great. People keep encouraging to do things myself. Oh, it's so easy. You don't have to be smart to work on a house. I appreciate the votes of confidence, but it's not very realistic especially since most of my advisers must understand I know very little about houses. I'm so glad I didn't do it myself.

The heater guy said something was wrong with the heat pump as it was missing half of the coolant. That could be why my electric bills were so high the last time I used it and now I'm really glad it's on its way off my property.

Furnace and heat pump waiting patiently to be taken away.

The junk man removed the appliances for free. He will recycle and sell the metal and copper parts.

I shouldn't post this next photo because it's so gross, but I will for some sadistic entertainment:

 
Furry dead rat bodies stuck to the top of the furnace. I'm sure they had a nest and sleeping there in the winter must have been very warm. So gross. So glad the furnace is now gone.

When I went back to the heating office to thank the young woman she told me about hearing the rats under her house. Her furnace is also not being used and the duct work is still there. She hears them running along it and it creeps her out. I told her I totally understand. It's gross and scary, but so common here. Good riddance heating ducts and furnace system!!

I worry about what kind of infectious bacterial germs I've exposed myself to whether I touched them or breathed them in. For instance, I took yesterday's photos before I took off my gloves and mask. Did germs get on my camera? I wiped it down with hydrogen peroxide, but is that good enough? I walked with my boots on the porch and when I switched to my sandals did germs get on my bare feet and have I tracked them into the house? What about all my tools? I wiped them down also, but did I miss a spot? Will I unknowingly touch something with bacterial germs from dead rats and then eat an apple? This is so gross. Who would have known I'd ever find myself rolling around in dead rat bodies, opossum and rat shit? This is not the life I planned for myself....

When we were little to get us to work my dad used to always say how there are always rewards for people who work, namely, finding treasures. If we cleaned the basement, we might find a penny or dime and my dad would say, "See! What did I tell you?"  If we helped clean the garage, we might find a marble or lost toy. Many years later I now find garden treasures and I still think, "Dad was so right!" Today a baby spoon fell out of a furnace part.

 
 
Of course, I imagine some rat liked the smell of old baby food on it, grabbed it, and drug into the furnace under the house for fun. Then licked it clean. After picking it up with gloves on, I washed it repeatedly in soap and hot water then sterilized it again by soaking it in hydrogen peroxide. (Did I get all the germs washed out of the sink or did some splash out onto my newly washed dishes nearby? UGH! I think I'll have nightmares tonight!) I'll sell it in my next yard sale...

Anyway...another project DONE!

On to the next or maybe a part of the whole project. I removed the metal hardware for the heat registers and using plywood sealed off the holes. This involved laying on my back [on top of the rat shit and mold, etc.] with my head against the insulation and spider webs [imagining spiders crawling down my back] trying to drill screws into the plywood above me using my non-existent stomach muscles for leverage and for support. Not a pretty sight. I got three done before I collapsed in agony. I really should do more sit-ups. Four more registers to go which I'll tackle in a couple days once I recover. I also need to figure out what to do with the open spaces that are above where the furnace was, but I think I'll need to find someone who knows how do the construction to close it off and add insulation. (Wishful thinking. I'll probably end up trying to do it myself....)

Almost DONE.

Next project: laundry room shelf.  I had two small, short shelves for years so I decided to combine those into a top shelf and add one below. I've wanted a second shelf for a long, long time. I had to buy a $15 board, prime and paint it. I love being organized. Such a small job that waited for so long but so satisfying to finally get it done.

 
 
DONE!
 
 
Next project: fix fence. This has been a small, but ongoing project, but I have postponed upkeep for a couple years. The fence is about 25 years old and in human years it's probably about 125. I am hoping it lasts another five years, but that is wishful thinking. Now that Peter isn't here to be a flight risk, the fence is not that important, but I love my privacy. Until its total replacement which is something I DO NOT want to do, I keep it in working order by adding screws to loose pieces, wood sealer treatment, replace damaged wood and try to keep it upright. I replaced five rungs and then found a loose post that needed replacing. Hopefully that will hold it through the winter storms.
 
 
 
DONE.
 
Then I contacted the local electrician and made an appointment to install the heaters in two weeks! I decided the electrical work is too intricate for me as I think a qualified electrician will know how to use the furnace/heat pump wiring. I don't want my house to burn down because of my electrical ignorance. My plan is to get cadet heaters. No toxic refrigerator coolant, nitrogen gas, ozone issues, mold issues, no fiberglass, and less expense. Little cadet heaters in each room to control individual room heat seem like such a better, safer and sensible solution. The young woman at the heating company pointed to the $5,000 ductless heat pump and said, "Have you considered one of those?" I said, "Oh yeah! Last year I was considering one of those and if someone from this heating company would have responded to my begging for help, I would have bought one. Too late. I'm going another route." One doesn't need a heating company for cadet heaters as I can just hire the local electrician who responded to my request for a quote immediately. When I saw him today he gave me a big smile and said, "Are you ready for your heaters?" I was really surprised and impressed he remembered me!
 
Almost DONE. (I'm not doing it so it's good as done!)
 

I feel so productive! Getting rid of the furnace is a HUGE load off my shoulders. You can't imagine how happy it makes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment