Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pharmaceutical Fillers

Today I (finally) received the "Universal Claim Form for a Compounded Medication" for the DHEA prescription for my pharmaceutical insurance claim. Had I received this form when I purchased the drug (which is when I should have received it), I would have been horrified. Maybe this is why is wasn't given to me?  Unfortunately I didn't know to ask for it until later. Here is the recipe they used:

dehydroepiandrosterone micronized
base, gelatin
acesulfame potassium
acacia powder (gum arabic)
citric acid USP monohydrate powder
saccharin sodium USP
silica gel (micronized)
stevioside
xylitol (D)

I thought I was receiving the first two ingredients and that's all.

What the hell?

What is it about me that makes people ignore what I'm saying? I was in the pharmacy no less than six times making sure I understood my filler options so they clearly understood what I wanted. At the last minute the pharmacist didn't fill this prescription because she knew I was so sensitive she should ask what kind of base would be best. I made it really clear only DHEA and gelatin should be in each tablet. So how in the hell did all those other ingredients get dumped into the prescription?

1 comment: