Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I Admit...I'm a Recipe Thief (Salmon Salad)

Have you ever been waiting in the lobby of a doctor's office, waiting, waiting, waiting. You decide to flip through a very outdated (non-smelly) magazine in the magazine rack just to look like you aren't bored and to avoid the others also waiting. There is a recipe in the magazine that actually fits within all the dietary restrictions you have. Of course, you have no paper or pen and a nurse will come out and take you away at any moment. You know once you leave, that recipe is lost forever. Or...you rip that page out of the magazine as quietly as possible, stuff it in your purse, and try to look innocent. Well, that's what I did. Good recipes are like gold: rare and precious. I don't know what's come over me. For a few brief moments I felt so guilty I almost changed my mind, then I just went for it. I never used to be like this. Anyway...Yatna the recipe thief.

Here is my modified version of the stolen recipe:




STOLEN SALMON SALAD

Ingredients:

5-7 ounces of salmon, cooked, cooled, deboned, chopped into little bits.
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped into tiny bits
2 tablespoons mayonnaise, the healthy kind, if possible
1 small clove of garlic, minced
5 pitted kalamata olives, chopped
2 green onions, chopped into tiny bits

2 ripe but firm avocados, cut in half, pitted
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (optional)

Mix everything but the avocado and pine nuts in a bowl. Place salad on top of the avocado. Salt and pepper as you like and sprinkle with pine nuts. Eat.

Yum.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I don't own any clinics that you go to. Otherwise I would end up having magazines with torn, missing pages!!!! Hahahahahhahaha! Yatna the thief indeed! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear that's the only time I've done that! Not that this is an excuse nor does it exonerate me, but it was a recycled magazine with a sticker over someone's address label so I don't feel as guilty as I should.

      Delete
  2. The recipe sounds great. What kind of mayo do you use? I usually try to make my own with good oil, but I hardly ever do, which means I almost never make recipes requiring mayo, which is too bad as I really like it, unlike the rest of my family. (good sentence, eh?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spectrum Canola Oil Mayonnaise. I tried homemade olive oil mayo and it was incredibly gross. I tried homemade avocado oil mayo and it was expensive and incredibly gross. I love mayo. Canola isn't good, but this brand is better than most so I don't care.

      Delete
    2. You could make this recipe without the mayo, but I can't imagine it would be as good...

      Delete