Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Chicken and Zucchini Poppers (recipe)

This recipe is perfectly Paleo-Hashimoto's. Nothing in it that's not on my diet which is a rare find! This was found on the website One Lovely Life written by a woman who's family is gluten and dairy free.
 
Ingredients:
 
1 lb. ground chicken
2 cups grated zucchini, leave peel on and grate on smallest
2 green onions, sliced
3-4 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper
3/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
olive oil for cooking
 
Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees. Mix chicken, zucchini, onions, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin. Drizzle and spread a bit of olive oil on a baking sheet.
 
 
 
 
Using a small scoop or heaped tablespoon and form into balls, place on baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes, then broil on high for 2-3 minutes until tops are brown.
 
 
 

Serve warm with guacamole, salsa or dip.

As you can see from the photos I grated my zucchini on normal and I think the pieces of zucchini were too big. And my grocery co-op was out of ground chicken so I bought ground turkey. This was a fine substitution, but I eat turkey so infrequently it had a weird, gamey taste. Later I tried the recipe with the chicken and it was better. I am trying not to use cumin since it's on my forbidden list according to my mutated genes, and the recipe was great without it, but I think it would add some pizzazz for those of you who can use cumin.

These little poppers would be a great party appetizer.

Yum.

3 comments: